(1st time pool owner) Draining water off above ground pool.

Nov 4, 2013
Hi :wave: Pool newbie here!

I know this question has probably been asked before (I just can't find it) Hoping someone could help. I recently purchased a house in Michigan with an above ground pool, which was already closed for the winter.

Over the past month with rain and such...a considerable amount of water and leaves has collected on top. I started by using a shop vac to suck the water out, which after dumping out approx 160 gal of water I was wondering if the water was actually seeping through the tarp hence being the pool water and not the rain? (I know it didn't rain 160gals worth in Michigan).

My main question is: How much water is safe to have on the top of the cover with the freezing temps close upon us? Knowing that the tarp sits on top of the water, but with ice and all I'm concerned with the tarp tearing. Can this happen?

Secondly: With leaves and "whirlybirds" and such, is it recommended they be cleaned off the tarp before the big freeze?

I really appreciate your help, thanks

Re: (1st time pool owner) Draining water off above ground po

Hi, welcome to TFP! Yes it is possible that you were draining off pool water. Many covers are water permeable. You can push the leaves off the cover if you wish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.