Optimal skimmer / return placement

I don't think so. It seems up to builders and their experience. Our builder has quoted us two, but I am not sure it will be enough. It's pretty accepted that two will work on lots of free form shapes if the returns are ample in number and properly adjusted. I am skeptical as we will have lots, and lots of leaves to deal with.

I'm having 2 skimmers installed, and I've read and agree with most of the general concepts, like placing down wind, etc... I was just hoping that perhaps this is something that's been solved a little bit more definitively... its been a while since I've looked at a fluid dynamics textbook, but from what I remember laminar flows aren't extremely complex to calculate. Granted there are many factors like wind velocity and surface friction of various plasters and salt vs no salt in the water, but all those should be relatively negligible, or can simply be a factor of a simulation... maybe a side project after the pool is actually done? :-D

I'd wondered about placing a kiddie pool with some leaves or lightweight toys in the yard to determine prevailing winds. Our existing 1975 pool has skimmers in all the wrong locations for the wind in our backyard - I don't know if they were installed according to builder's knowledge or what, but we're looking at an after-market venturi action leaf skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.