Small leak

Hi All,

I have a small leak by my pump which is a whisperflow. It is not where the motor attaches it is right on the edge of the pump. I have posted a photo. I hope you would have some advice for me on how to fix this. It is a bout 1 drop every 30 seconds. I have included a photo to help you with the location. Let me know if you need a better photo.

I should also mention that I have tightened the bolts for this part and that has not made a difference.

THX

Chris

Attachments

• pool leak.jpg
    pool leak.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 58
Hi All,

I thought I give some feedback on the overall fix here. I did not take pictures because it was late at night. Anyway this seems much easier than it actually is.

1. The seal I bought came from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F1 ... UTF8&psc=1. I suggest getting this one compared to the black ones that are more flexible because it will make your life that much easier during the install.

2. You need silicon grease and lost of it. Use it to hold the seal in place. The problem is that the seal is designed to be a little smaller than the actual size it needs to be for fit purposes and the silicon grease really helps in hold it in place.

3. Start from the bottom and go up. At the top the seal may not seat very well in its designated spot but it will be fine when you tighten things.

4. Put the 6 bolts back together. Make sure you get some help here from someone to hold the motor while you put the bolts together.

5. This is the most important part. Before tightening when there is a gap check to make sure the seal has not moved and is sitting where it needs to be. The start in a clock wise or counter clock wise fashion and tighten the screws. Always tighten the bottom ones first.

6. During this the above process you can use a knife or very small screwdriver to relocate the seal to where it needs to be.

7. tighten everything up and start the pump. Make sure you put some water in the pump basket at the front of the pump first it will help with the process.

8. Check for leaks. If there is a big leak turn everything off immediately and open up the bolts. Now here you do not need to open the whole pump up. You can loosen the bolts enough to create a gap and then use the knife again to readjust the location of the seal. make sure to use plenty of the silicon grease. This stuff is sold at Home depot or Lowes. Tighten again.

9. Try again and hopefully your pump does not leak. If it does then make a note of the location of the leak and go back and try to repeat steps 7 and 8. It will eventually come together.

10. You are hopefully done.

I did this job alone so I had to repeat steps 7,8, and 9 3-4 times since when I was placing the motors on the pump I was moving the seal. If you have help one person can hold the pump while the other one installs and tightens the bolts.

GOOD LUCK.

Chris.

Well the old seal was almost new since the motor has been replaced on the pump. However, the person who installed it basically did not follow the steps above and pinched it at the point that it was leaking and never bothered opening it up and fixing it. Basically if the seal is not sitting in its housing it will get pinched and will be damaged if it is not fixed right away. It will also start to leak from the pinched location but the leak is very small so I guess the installer was just happy to get the heck out of there and move on and never bothered correctly putting everything together. Oh well, that is why i suggested the approach above.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.