why are there no pucks w/o CYA?

teppy

Nov 11, 2007
Louisiana
With all the discussion about chlorine pucks and feeders, why are there no 3' pucks avaialbe without CYA in them? Is it impossible to produce chlorine pucks without the stablizer in them? I'm to the point now, (and I was warned here by a few that it would happen), where my CYA is getting too high to use my feeder. I have been using straight chlorox for the past couple of days. It seems to me that someone would make it without the CYA. Or, is the their way to make up spend more money by having to use more chlorine and shocking more?

There really is only one form of slow dissolving chlorine suitable for erosion feeders (exactly because it IS slow dissolving). That form of chlorine is trichlor, which is a chemical made from CYA and chlorine. All the other forms of chlorine are fast dissolving or liquid and are not suitable for erosion feeders.

There is one company that makes a 3" puck with no CYA that goes into your skimmer basket. Every bucket of 3" tabs comes with a dispenser that holds two pucks, just drop the dispenser in your skimmer basket. I used them before converting to a SWG last year. They are sold under the name of Sustain, they have a website at www.askjoepool.com where you can find dealers in your area. They list other products but I've only used the pucks and they work great, no CYA and they dissolve slowly over a three to five day period depending on how far you slide the lid open on the dispenser.

ctwine said:
There is one company that makes a 3" puck with no CYA that goes into your skimmer basket. Every bucket of 3" tabs comes with a dispenser that holds two pucks, just drop the dispenser in your skimmer basket. I used them before converting to a SWG last year. They are sold under the name of Sustain, they have a website at http://www.askjoepool.com where you can find dealers in your area. They list other products but I've only used the pucks and they work great, no CYA and they dissolve slowly over a three to five day period depending on how far you slide the lid open on the dispenser.
The company is PPG the pucks are cal hypo (HTH also makes cal hypo pucks) but cal hypo is very fast dissolving when compared to trichlor so it really isn't as suitable for erosion feeders and it cannot be used with auto chlorinators which can hold several weeks worth of chlorine at at time. cal hypo pucks are a poor substitute at best for trichlor when it comes to ease of use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.