Open in Tennessee

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Anybody in Tennessee leave their pool open during the winter?? I've gotten past the majority of leaves falling thanks to 2 pool skims.
My temperature is presently 56 degrees and I was planning on closing this weekend but my wife enjoys seeing the water versus a green cover. I am thinking that if it isn't harmful to the equipment (outside under eve of house) I may just run all winter instead of closing for approx. 4 mos. depending on how fast spring temps warm up. Any experience/opinions would be helpful as this would be the first time for me running thru the winter in East TN.---THANKS

I leave mine open and running every winter. We have been rather mild over these last several years and the coldest I can remember is about 19 F.

I turned the pump on to run continuously until freezing conditions stopped and, while I developed about 1/4 - 3/8 skim of ice, the pool performed just fine.

Not sure how much lower than that you could go ( I would guess maybe 10-15 F. if it was for one night only)

joel0711 said:
Anybody in Tennessee leave their pool open during the winter?? I've gotten past the majority of leaves falling thanks to 2 pool skims.
My temperature is presently 56 degrees and I was planning on closing this weekend but my wife enjoys seeing the water versus a green cover. I am thinking that if it isn't harmful to the equipment (outside under eve of house) I may just run all winter instead of closing for approx. 4 mos. depending on how fast spring temps warm up. Any experience/opinions would be helpful as this would be the first time for me running thru the winter in East TN.---THANKS

I'm in Clarksville, and we leave ours open all year. I always run my pump 24/7. My neighbor leaves his open too. I just put a leaf net over for a few weeks to catch the leaves. I also put a few chlorine pucks in the skimmer, as well, since the salt generator doesn't produce at colder water temps. Just my preference.

Thanks for the info..... I'm approx. 45 miles west of knoxville in the ridge and valley area at the foot of the cumberland plateau. I may just leave it going thru the winter. Just checked my temp. and it's still at 60 degrees. I need to wait a little longer anyway. I read that some had used a lite bulb and cover over the pump/filter system when the temps go real low... Sounds like a plan!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.