Flooded pool

May 9, 2013
Round Rock, TX
Well, we had some major rain a few days ago. We live on a slight slope so we get a good amount of run off from other yards above us. Unfortunately, it was enough to crest the deck at 6" - 8" above ground level and flood into the pool. I went from a crystal clear pool to a swamp in a matter of minutes. I'm not exactly sure what to do from here. I've been vacuuming and letting my robot run. The robot used to be able to only run about 5 minute before it was full, but its getting better. The dirt in the water just keeps settling overnight. The first day or two I couldn't see anything, but now I'm able to see my ledge and some steps. I also cleaned out my filter last night as it was filthy. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should be doing about chemistry? Should I be adding chlorine or is that just a waste with as much dirt and debris that is in there? I would prefer not to be fighting an algae breakout directly after cleaning the pool if at all possible.

Some before and after pics...

a7y5yqag.jpg
eva9ydud.jpg
ta8e2eba.jpg
6uzudahy.jpg
qe3u3a3e.jpg

What a bummer. I don't think anything is more destructive to nice pool water than an overflow from the surrounding landscaping.

I think you are doing everything correctly. Keep that filter cleaned whenever your psi rises 25% above "clean" pressure and keep your robot running. Manually vacuuming may be a bit more effective than the robot.

If it was my pool, I would put some chlorine in it even if it wasn't clear. I would suggest bringing the FC up to about double the normal FC (based on your CYA level) and then jusy keep adding enough chlorine to keep it between normal FC and double normal FC.

That will help your pool clear quite a bit faster I think and prevent algae from getting a foothold.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, it sucks.

Curious about these shock packets at Home Depot? What does it add other than chlorine? For $3.99 a packet for 20K gallons, it looks like a cheaper alternative right now than adding a bunch of bleach and I think my CYA is low anyway due to the rain.

On a positive note, my hardness levels were a bit high at 400 - 450. Now down around 250! :)

Ran my pool cleaner and filter A LOT. I did use the packets, mostly because the flood of water knocked my CYA below recommended levels. I'm using a floater with pucks right now since CYA is still on low side. TA was down around 40 so added about 4 lbs of baking soda which brought it to about 70 a couple days ago. Only positive is my CH went from 440 to 250.

FC - 3
TA - 70
PH - 7.5-7.6
CYA - 35-40
CH - 250

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.