Advice On Upgrading To A More Efficient Pool Pump.

Sep 3, 2013
I have 12 a year old 27K gallon 18X40 vinyl pool with 1-1/2" piping.
Two returns, bottom drain and two skimmers.
Hayward Perflex EC75 DE filter.
Hayward Super Pump 230V Model C48K2N143B1 A.O. Smith 1 h.p. motor.
PPL electric rate is $0.08777 per kWh.
I run my pump about 8 hours a day in S.C. Pennsylvania for 4 months/year.
Sanitize using 12.5% liquid chlorine with injection pump.

Not sure if I should go with two speed motor or VS. due to return on investment and reliability.
So what pump/motor would you recommend for this pool.

Appreciate any input.

The general consensus is with your electrical rates lower like yours are, the return on investment of a VS pump doesn't work out.

A 2 speed will pay you back pretty quickly, however, so that would be my suggestion. I have no opinion on brands......they all seem roughly the same quality.

I also thought the payback on the vs might not be the best option.

I see that they make a 2 speed replacement motor/with timer onboard for my pump. Now it's about getting the correct one and best price.

This is just my personal opinion but I would think twice about those on-board timer motors. I worry about increasing the likelihood that I am without circulation due to a timer failure. With a separate timer, you can at least by-pass it and control your pump manually from the breaker. If the timer section needs repair, you can send it out separately. I still believe the good old Intermatic mechanicals are the gold standard in reliability and I would prefer to stick with those.

Also, my impression is that the added cost of the timer equipped motor is no bargain. A separate timer can frequently be had for less, so the savings is in the installation. In my case, this work I do myself.

I never liked combo VCR/TV's for the same reason. It's just better to have separate components when things go wrong.

Thanks for your input Durk.
I'll keep that in mind as I continue my research.

I can do the wiring part so the new timer might be the better way to go and also solve the priming at startup on high speed. The way it looks to me is with the onboard timer the min high speed time is one hour and that's way more than needed for priming. I know it will prime on low speed if no air leaks are present but not willing to take that chance.

Another thing that concerns me about running at a lower speed is skimming the top. Doesn't this affect the removal of debris because of less suction at the skimmers?

Durk makes a good point.

ravenjim said:
Another thing that concerns me about running at a lower speed is skimming the top. Doesn't this affect the removal of debris because of less suction at the skimmers?
Some folks run a short time on high a couple times a day to help with the skimming action with the rest of the run time being on low. On my pool, I generally get acceptable debris removal even when I only run on low (except when leaves or maple whirlys are falling)... I get a nice circular circulation.

linen said:
A 2-speed replacement with a integrated timer for the motor you listed is the a.o. smith B973T (aka B2973T). Best price I could find is: http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00000017069218.htm?gclid=CISi9f2Sx7oCFepFMgoddDcA7g
Looks like I made a mistake here since you posted 230V (not 115). Sorry about that, glad you caught it :oops:

Yes the B975 (or B2975 or B2975T) is the right motor. It is 56J frame.

There is one here that is decently priced: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Cent...n=aw_plaMain&gclid=CPb3ovXT1boCFU1gMgodJl4APQ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah I caught that. Good price for that motor (975T) but I do like the idea of the mechanical timer being less problematic.

Just bought a new B975 on Ebay for $175. The build date was 2002 but that shouldn't matter because the motor data was the same as the newer ones.

Now for a T106R timer. Saw a new one for $84.17 from Smarthome I think I'll get.

I hope I didn't make a mistake and purchase the wrong motor.

The one I bought 1 HP (B975) has a service factor of 1.4 and my old 1hp SF is 1.1

Can I still use this motor on my pump? SP-1607-Z1-M 1H.P. S.F. 1.1

The B975 might be an uprated 3/4 hp with a service factor of 1.4 which would make it a 1.05 hp motor.

Is that correct? because the motor name plate doesn't have it listed as 1 hp but when I google B975 it comes up as a 1hp. and the guy advertised it as a 1hp.

Hope that made sense!

The B975 has a Total hp of 1.4 and your old motor had a Total hp of 1.1, but as jbliz said, it will work for your pump since you can use a larger motor and should still use about the same power if you went with the B973 (or another 1.1 total hp motor).

Thanks guys!
I was a little worried there that I might have defeated my purpose of saving energy by using a higher rated motor but I see now that the pump design will only use a certain amount of HP. from the motor. Awesome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.