Ready to take care of the pool myself

JT2006

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Southwest Arizona (Yuma)
Being a new pool owner can be a little overwhelming. I have learned a lot thanks to this forum in the last 3 months. I wanted learn everything before I fire the pool service and start doing it myself but I am more of a learn by doing type of person. So I'm ready to just do it. I know I need a good test kit but other then that what would you all suggest I have on hand?

Thanks,

JB

One thing I would like to add is when you test all your parameters and get everything in range don't micro manage the levels. All the parameters have a range and as long as everything is in range you should be good to go.
If it's not broke don't fix it !!

Hey, you can do it - I fired my pool guy just before resurfacing 1 1/2 year ago, so much easier now. Don't forget to brushing, vacuum, and the filter. Follow the guidelines true and sure. Just ask the forum anything, best resource ever - you may be doing it yourself, but you are never alone.

It's not that difficult to maintain once the water is balanced. There's a fairly steep learning curve, but once you have a few weeks' practice, it gets to be routine and boring. You'll know the pool's appetite for acid and bleach, how often to vacuum, what the pump sounds like and what the pressure should be soon enough.

There's a certain outlay at first for the test kit and the chemicals, pole, brush, vacuum, all that stuff, but it will be repaid in two or three months by not paying a pool service.

Expect to become infected with sparklypoolitis, as well as Pool Snobbery. You'll begin hesitating to go in other pools soon; it's normal around here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.