dead bird

ChadR

May 18, 2008
[Thread moved by SeanB - clearly NOT a Deep End topic.]

I found a dead bird in my skimmer that could have been there for a couple of days now. Do I need to do anything specific like extra shocking to sanitize the water to be safe?

Chad R.

I would, if for no other reason than the comfort factor.

Somebody had a poop accident in my pool last year. I closed it down and raised the FC to 20, then let it drop down to its normal 5. Talk about a party stopper :(

Thanks for the replies. Doing an extra strong shock is certainly no big deal and I figured the least I should do. I was just wondering if there was anything more than that I should do.

Chad R.

You could put a slotted weir in front of the skimmer to keep creatures from getting in it in the first place. My AGP came with such a device. I don't use it because it's a PITA to put on and take off for vacuuming. I do see the value of a weir: it would prevent things from getting caught in the skimmer basket that might impede water flow. In our case, that would be small fabric Frisbees and other dog toys. I've become vigilant about removing toys from the pool.

You could check your skimmer more often. You said the bird might have been in there for as long as two days. In warm weather and warm water that has very high ickyness potential.

Superchlorination should kill what bacteria/virii/decomposition organics that got into the water and the filter medium. I think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.