Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dead bird

1. Back To Top    #1

dead bird

[Thread moved by SeanB - clearly NOT a Deep End topic.]

I found a dead bird in my skimmer that could have been there for a couple of days now. Do I need to do anything specific like extra shocking to sanitize the water to be safe?

Chad R.
    Inground, 35k L-shape vinyl. Large sand filter, Nature2 filter. Main pump + polaris booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dead bird

I would, if for no other reason than the comfort factor.

Somebody had a poop accident in my pool last year. I closed it down and raised the FC to 20, then let it drop down to its normal 5. Talk about a party stopper
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

Chad, I agree with AnnaK.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. Doing an extra strong shock is certainly no big deal and I figured the least I should do. I was just wondering if there was anything more than that I should do.

Chad R.
    Inground, 35k L-shape vinyl. Large sand filter, Nature2 filter. Main pump + polaris booster pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

You could put a slotted weir in front of the skimmer to keep creatures from getting in it in the first place. My AGP came with such a device. I don't use it because it's a PITA to put on and take off for vacuuming. I do see the value of a weir: it would prevent things from getting caught in the skimmer basket that might impede water flow. In our case, that would be small fabric Frisbees and other dog toys. I've become vigilant about removing toys from the pool.

You could check your skimmer more often. You said the bird might have been in there for as long as two days. In warm weather and warm water that has very high ickyness potential.

Superchlorination should kill what bacteria/virii/decomposition organics that got into the water and the filter medium. I think.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.