Quotes from 2 different bidders - please help!!!

newbie_pool

Oct 30, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, I'm looking to build a pool in the next few months and I got 2 bidders so far with two different options. Both gave me good reasons so I don't know what option I should go. Please advise.

PB A:
1 HP traditional pump for pool
1.5 HP booster pump for spa (8 jets)
Separate pump for water feature

PB B:
2 HP variable speed pump for both pool and spa (6 jets)
Separate pump for water feature

PB A claims that separate pumps would save you electricity because you only need run the booster pump for spa when you want to use it. PB B, on the other hand, claims the VS pump is energy efficient vs the traditional pump. It's a waste of $ to put in another pump for spa. Any suggestions here as which one is right. I don't fully understand how the variable speed pump works. Can one VS pump handle both spa and pool?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Also, which one would you recommend? Pentair or Hayward? Sales people would tell me that they are the same. But then some other pool owners would tell me to stay away from Hayward.

Welcome to tfp, newbie_pool :wave:

Although there are reasons to keep them separate, I would lean towards the variable speed (vs), since you can program it to do both jobs...high flow for when the spa is used, low flow for the rest of the time. Additionally, depending on the water feature, the vs might be able to do that job as well.

Both pentair and hayward make fine vs pumps. If you have or plan to get automation that may push you towards one or the other.

Thanks for your quick response. Sorry with my dumb questions here. What kind of automation? Can vs pump perform the same as booster pump for spa? Can VS pump handle both pool and spa?

Automation is basically automatic control of you pool equipment, such as when to run, how high a flow rate to run, etc.

newbie_pool said:
Can vs pump perform the same as booster pump for spa? Can VS pump handle both pool and spa?
Yes and Yes (assuming the VS chosen has a high enough flow rate).

The pumps are the least concern if you are contracting a PB.
If I had it to do over again...
1. What are the tolerances for measurements, can I see the plans, IN WRITING?
2. What size plumbing are you using, and do you calculate ft. of head?
3. Do you pressure test your plumbing?
4. How many employees do you have and what is their experience?
5. What is your warranty and what are the component warranties?
6. Are you using a certified electrician?
7. Are you attaining city permits?
8. Will my fence be rebuilt at no cost if you have to take it down?
9. BBB check
10. What is your liability insurance?

Back to the motors, I chose the VS for my pool, because I am familiar with this type if motor, and know the benefits.

Our previous house had a pool & we are now in the process of having one put in at our current house. Our PB told us we can use one pump for everything, but if we wanted to run the water feature & circulate pool water at the same time, we would need 2 separate pumps. We went with the 2nd pump for the waterfall so we can run both at the same time. I like having the pool circulating when I float in it, plus the skimmer flaps are annoying when you're swimming with the pool pump off. Just minor things, but if you're spending the $ to put in a pool, you want to be sure you get it just like you want it. Good luck with the process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.