What is the big deal about using gizmos in skimmer?

Jun 14, 2013
First time closer and am just full of questions today.

If you blow out the skimmer lines of water, add anti-freeze, drain pool water well below skimmer opening, and cover(my cover also covers skimmer lid)-Why the need to use the gizmo thing? I don't understand how that much water can get into the skimmer box with everything covered. What am I missing? I did use the gizmos because we had them, just wondering if my logic is correct. Since this is my first time closing, I'm just re-going over everything to make sure I'm covered. At this point, I'm trying to figuring if I need to add more AF to skimmer box outside of gizmo or if my first theory of not that much water getting in is correct.
thanks!

The lid to the skimmer is not water tight, and neither are most covers. I have to drain my pool several times most winters since the water reaches the cover.

Janelle said:
I poured AF in skimmer line-how much af should be in skimmer box outside of gizmo?

I pack my skimmer with pool noodle foam to keep as much water out as possible, but the pool still rises into the skimmer. I don't put any antifreeze in the skimmer itself.

JohnT said:
I don't put any antifreeze in the skimmer itself.

I'll +1 this too. IMO, its really not needed to drain water below the skimmer, or add antifreeze to it. First couple of rains that come along fills it up anyway and washes the antifreeze out. The gizmo keeps any ice that forms in the skimmer from craking the plastic. And i too add a cut up noodle to put in there as well. I also know a lot or people use antifreeze, but in 5 years ive never used it; never saw the need. If there is a bit of water left in the lines, it will seek the lowest point, which is usually several feet below the ground. Unless your ground freezes solid to 4 feet deep, you really have no worries.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.