Skimmer Plug and Skimmer Grille

DOMO

Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2013
Rowley, MA
Hi all, Would like to get people's opinions (and hopefully, experiences) with these 2 products from SimPoolTec.

Skimmer Plug - While we have drained the water level just below the skimmer for our closing (inground FG pool), installed a gizmo after blowing out the line, and will put a 1 litre bottle in the skimmer filled with antifreeze, wondering if this is a worthwhile item as a failsafe to keep water getting into the skimmer (or possibly in lieu of the bottle of antifreeze)?

Skimmer Grille - In the early Fall, we end up with a LOT of leaves in the skimmer basket, so I am thinking this may be useful to keep the skimmer from becoming overloaded with leaves and potentially putting any undue stress on the pump.

Thanks!

The bottle you put in the skimmer is normally an empty antifreeze bottle with the cap on forced in to hold the weir down. Its purpose is to crush if ice forms in the skimmer to protect the housing from pressure. I also pack my skimmer with closed cell foam like pool noodles are made of. I'm not sure where you would add a plug since you should have a gizmo in the hole in the skimmer to serve as a both a plug and ice relief.

I don't think a skimmer grille will be much help with leaves. It may actually make the problem worse if you have large leaves that clog the slots.

Hi. We have a gizmo in the skimmer line (which is intended to crush if ice forms, yes?). I had read that putting another small bottle of antifreeze in the skimmer housing next to the gizmo was recommended by some. ?
A fair point on the skimmer grille. Hoping there are some folks out there who have experience with this product in this application, but I can definitely see your point. Shouldn't an equalizer line have been installed and run to the bottom of the skimmer to help alleviate the issue if the skimmer gets clogged so that the pump doesn't run dry?

DOMO said:
Shouldn't an equalizer line have been installed and run to the bottom of the skimmer to help alleviate the issue if the skimmer gets clogged so that the pump doesn't run dry?

The easiest solution to keep a clogged skimmer from starving the pump is an independently plumbed main drain. Anything plumbed through the skimmer becomes ineffective once the basket gets packed with leaves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.