Is it normal to have an unused return line hole?

Jun 14, 2013
Hi all,
I've been wondering and am looking for the expertise of the pool guys on here.

My freeform pool has 2 return jets on each end of the pool. There is also a third return jet on one side, but I've never felt water coming out. I've owned pool for one summer, so I have no idea if jet ever worked in the past or not. I've just assumed that the line was never plumbed when installed(it it the farthest side away from pump). Any other suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

Could be: dedicated suction line, dedicated pressure cleaner line, auto-fill port, equalizer line for the skimmer

I had one in my pool under a waterfall ... eventually found the pipe capped near the equipment for what was once a dedicated suction port to run the water fall.

What kind of valves do you have at the equipment? Add some pictures of the equipment and the hole location.

[attachment=2:2p0pfrip]pool picture.jpeg[/attachment:2p0pfrip][attachment=1:2p0pfrip]pool plumbing outside.jpeg[/attachment:2p0pfrip]

[attachment=0:2p0pfrip]pool plumbing overall.jpeg[/attachment:2p0pfrip]

The hole in question is on the side that curves next to the steps.

Attachments

• pool picture.jpeg
    pool picture.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 86
  • pool plumbing outside.jpeg
    pool plumbing outside.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 86
  • pool plumbing overall.jpeg
    pool plumbing overall.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 85
Looks like you have 3 suction lines in front of the pump. Have you identified what each one does? Could be 1 is a skimmer, 1 is the floor, and 1 is the dedicated suction cleaner line.

The 3 valves/lines control-skimmer 1, skimmer 2, & main. It is my understanding that line 1 goes to skimmer 1, line 2 to skimmer 2 and line 3 to main drain. Is this correct or could any of these lines be connected underground? I've read some post that talk about the skimmer and main being connected.

Have you confirmed all that by just opening each suction line separately? Look in the skimmers under the basket, if the floor was maybe connected to the the skimmer you usually would see 2 open holes.

If there any skimmer-type lid in that area of mulch where I think you are saying the hole is?

In my pool, I have an extra jet opening on the opposite side of the pool from the skimmer. At my pump, there is an extra valve that I can open or close to control the flow or pressure from that one jet. When I bought the house, the previous owner had a pool sweep type cleaner called the "Husler", that used the pressure from that jet. BTW, that is a pretty worthless cleaner and I got it out of there within a month or so of moving in. Now I can use that jet port to move water through a make shift solar heater or use a pressure side cleaner, or even connect a garden hose to drain some water out when it gets flooded. It has come in handy a few times.

Perhaps yours is set up the same way?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Through trial while blowing out lines is how I determined which line went to each skimmer/drain. My skimmers only have one hole at the bottom.
I don't think there is anything besides a tree stump in the mulch, although i've never really looked. I'll check that out when I get home.

At his point, I think I'm going to stick the shop vac hose in the hole and see if any water is sucked out. All my lines are blown out except for this odd ball one.

Have you ever figured out what the empty hole was for in the wall where you house your equipment?

I'd try sticking a hose in the "third return" and see where the water comes out. It could be an overflow with the outlet being away and likely downhill from the pool.

linen said:
Have you ever figured out what the empty hole was for in the wall where you house your equipment?
Ah, good point, could be that there used to be another pipe that was on the pressure side for a pressure cleaner to the port. May dig a bit below that hole to see if there is a capped pipe.

If that pipe goes somewhere to the outside of the pool (like and overflow port or an autofill) you should see water showing up there. If that pipe is dead-end capped (or valved off) somewhere you won't see anything. If you can stuff a rag around the hose at the pipe opening to fill the gap and allow more pressure, that may help with this process. If rag ends up getting pushed out by water pressure, the line is likely closed.

Do most pools have an overflow port or an autofill? I'm not familiar with either and am not aware my pool has this, or maybe it does and I didn't know. I'll try the rag around the hose bit. That makes sense. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.