New Pool owner in Adelaide Australia...

... hence my username of AdelaidePooler.

I say New Pool owner, it's the ownership that's new, not the pool. It's not a new pool, far from it. And even the ownership thing isn't that new, We (wife and I, and now my new (first) daughter who arrived three weeks ago!)have been in the house a year and a bit, but I am trying to make this the first swim season that I will actually understand what on earth is going on with it, or is supposed to be in any case!

Last year I was completely green (as was the pool!), I was test strip happy, and "pool stored" by some very nice and friendly people that actually did know more than me at the time and always seemed to relieve me of around $100 every time I visited, and was also fighting a whole host of broken and underperforming equipment (unbeknownst to me!); a loud pump that needed new bearings and a new impeller; a chlorinator that was burned out / run dry (basically knackered); and I think, a leak. Although I may have learned that it could simply be evaporation as the cover is also pretty crappy, the sun is hot and the humidity low.

SO this year I know better! Following my recent purchases of a new pump, a new chlorinator, and with a K2006-C test kit on the way... and with the amazing help from this wonderful forum I intend to reclaim the pool and enjoy it on my terms!

Many thanks for all the information I have gleaned so far by simply reading, and thanks in advance for all the answers to all the silly questions I will probably have later on.

Thank you for the welcome Butterfly!

In other news... my Test kit has now found it's way to family in the USA (they act as my freight forwarders!) so I'll be able to assess my actual situation in about a week.
Or at least my wife will, she's the scientist and does all the pipette, titration and whatnot, I'm just an engineer!

Yes pwrstrk getting pool testing stuff down here is possible, but comes at a price and a hefty one at that (K-2006C is $270... before postage). The really cool bit (I think) is paying them for the postage while avoiding all the international bank transfer fees... by sending them a reloadable Walmart gift card!

I get everything I can from the USA or the UK as Australia is crazily expensive for most things, it's usually cheaper to get things from the US and pay for airmail shipping to my door than to go to a store and buy them locally.

linen, I'm hoping that after you guys have winterised your pools (while I attempt to open mine) that you don't all disappear off the pool forum and do holiday stuff at this time of year!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Even though it's "winter" in North America as far as pool season goes, several of us still have a regular appearance on the forum during the northern hemisphere off-season.

Nice to hear, and I reckon that those still frequenting the forum in the off season will probably be the "hardcore" and the supremely knowledgable!

Still waiting for my test kit (mailed from Indiana in a flat rate box on October 30).... Not sure what "Priority" the USPS's "Priority Mail International Parcels" actually gets... usually packages take a week door to door. I guess I'm just impatient and keen to get on with knowing what's going on with the pool. It's still too cold for swimming, only 23C (74F) this coming weekend!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
AdelaidePooler said:
...Still waiting for my test kit (mailed from Indiana in a flat rate box on October 30)....

Has your test kit arrived?

I too live in a country (Nicaragua) in which it is a challenge to get pool supplies/equipment (whether exorbitant cost or generally unavailable).

We've just opened a pool and I would really like the TF-100 or K-2006 test kit. Just got off the phone with Taylor and they said that components of their kits are considered hazmat and therefore cannot be shipped by airmail nor in checked luggage. When you say you mailed the kit from the U.S. did it go airmail or ground/sea? Any hazmat notification on the packaging? Thanks.

Yup. I guess I should have updated this thread, and not just my signature. It arrived using USPS in a flat rate airmail box, the customs label said 'swimming pool test kit' no hazmat label. saltwaterpoolparts.com will ship to Australia, (so there's clearly not an issue with it) no idea if they ship to Nicaragua or not.