Hi from Fort Worth, Tx

clw72

Oct 24, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Hello, my name is Carman and we are about to install an IG pool. We are excited and nervous all at the same time. I found this site while searching out pros and cons to using a SWG. Looks like a lot of great info and people on here, and I look forward to learning more about how to take care of our new pool, through this forum.

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There are a lot of Texans here and a few currently builds in your area going on as well.

Be sure to read through Pool School and get yourself one of the Recommended Test Kits so you can start off with the knowledge to not rely on a pool store for the chemistry.

Thanks jblizzle! I'm all about not relying on a pool store. When we lived in the Houston area, we bought a house with a pool and used a pool store for all of our education...spent way too much money and used way too many chemicals. Wish I had found this forum 5 years ago. Hard to live in Texas and not have a pool, or access to one. :-D

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Thanks duraleigh! :wave:

jblizzle, I see you have a heliocol solar heater. I ran across their website yesterday doing some research on pool heaters. Can you tell me about your experience with it? Did you install this during the pool build or after? Also, would it be sufficient for heating the pool water from say in the 50's up to somewhere in the 80's or higher? We heated our pool using a natural gas heater last Christmas for a couple of days so the grand kids could swim and we had so much fun we'd love to do it every year. Now that we have moved to a rural area we have a propane tank instead of NG and we've been told we would empty our tank within a few hours if we tried to heat the pool. What would you suggest?

First house I had the solar installed a few years after the house and pool were built. Current house we bought used and I did the solar install myself with some used panels I found on Craigslist.

There is no way they will raise the water from 50 into the 80s. They are good for slightly extending the season in the spring and fall and boosting the temp some in the summer if needed. In the summer mine are not used at all as the water is already warm enough. If you add a cover to the pool, that will help a good bit to maintain the heat. In April (I think) I was getting about a 5 degree temperature rise throughout the day, but was losing about the same overnight with no cover.

Solar will not allow you to just quickly heat up the pool in the winter. I am about to shut off mine as the water is not really warm enough anymore that anyone wants to swim, so why waste the electricity running the pump on high for the solar?

If that is something you want to do ... then you will need to get a bigger propane tank. There are some members here that use propane, but I am not sure how much gas is used.

Iam in ft Worth and i use a 400k BTU gas heater .
it heats up the 500 gallon Spa From about 50 to 100 in about 30 -45min.
it heats up a 30.000 gallon pool from 50 to 90 in about 2 days.
but the downside is it cost about 120-160 a week to run !!!
Up side is if we ever have a massive freeze like in 1989 , you can just turn it on and not worry about all your plumbling cracking ..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seanhan said:
Iam in ft Worth and i use a 400k BTU gas heater .
it heats up the 500 gallon Spa From about 50 to 100 in about 30 -45min.
it heats up a 30.000 gallon pool from 50 to 90 in about 2 days.
but the downside is it cost about 120-160 a week to run !!!
Up side is if we ever have a massive freeze like in 1989 , you can just turn it on and not worry about all your plumbling cracking ..

Thanks for the detailed info, Seanhan. Are you using natural gas or propane? If propane, what size tank do you have?

jblizzle said:
First house I had the solar installed a few years after the house and pool were built. Current house we bought used and I did the solar install myself with some used panels I found on Craigslist.

There is no way they will raise the water from 50 into the 80s. They are good for slightly extending the season in the spring and fall and boosting the temp some in the summer if needed. In the summer mine are not used at all as the water is already warm enough. If you add a cover to the pool, that will help a good bit to maintain the heat. In April (I think) I was getting about a 5 degree temperature rise throughout the day, but was losing about the same overnight with no cover.

Solar will not allow you to just quickly heat up the pool in the winter. I am about to shut off mine as the water is not really warm enough anymore that anyone wants to swim, so why waste the electricity running the pump on high for the solar?

If that is something you want to do ... then you will need to get a bigger propane tank. There are some members here that use propane, but I am not sure how much gas is used.

This is all great to know, thank you so much for the reply, jblizzle.

And to all of those who have welcomed me to the forum, thank you so much! :cheers: