Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Polaris 380 - Is Hayward Phantom less maintenance?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Polaris 380 - Is Hayward Phantom less maintenance?

Hola everyone, my Polaris 380, although good has become so expensive, every single small replacement part is expensive. I'm looking at the Hayward Phantom, they tell me it will fit just right into the current intake and the booster pump of course will still work. Any opinions on the Hayward Phantom? Thanks.

Ricardo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Polaris 380 - Is Hayward Phantom less maintenance?

Stay away. The Viper is a less troublesome cleaner if you want Hayward but see if you can find a Zodiac Mars HP. Very few moving parts, very dependable.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If you're tired of paying for the electricity to run 2 pool pumps you can convert you're pressure side line into a vacuum line. Then you can eliminate the booster pump, and use a Baracuda (1 moving part) which will remove dirt and leaves.These work great unless you have an oddly shaped pool.
    John

16 X 32 X 5.5 Indoor Vinyl
    Hayward S220T Sand w/ 1 HP Superpump
    Auto Brominator
    Dual Solar/Oil fired heat exchangers

4. Back To Top    #4

Our Phantom is on it's third season and It is now on the patio. We replaced it with a Legend. I am still trying to decide if I throw out the phantom or put it on ebay.

The Phantom worked flawlessly the first year and we loved it. Since then we have had to replace too many parts and I have had to rig up my own repairs that I would recommend you stay away from the phantom. Hayward never answered my emails and did not provide any appreciable help. For the price of the phantoom it should last longer than three seasons.

Tom
    12,000 Gallon
    Hayward 2HP Pump
    Solar Panel
    TF-100 Kit
    Built 2004, bought Dec 2007
    BBB All the Way