Contract Out Pool Surfacing for a New Pool?

Oct 8, 2013
Hello guys,

We are still in the process finalizing the designs with different PBs so I haven't see any full bids yet. But thinking ahead, I'm wondering if you folks would give me some opinions on what parts of the work during the pool building process could be contracted out reasonably.

So we are most possibly going to contracted out the deck. And it seems a fairly common thing to do. When I was looking at the decking material at a direct supplier, he mentioned that he also had well-priced coping stones to go with the decking. So I wonder how well a PB will take it if we say we want to supply our own coping stone.

The other significant piece is the surface of the pool. We really would like to go with Primera Stone from Wet Edge if possible. One of the friends had their pool resurfaced with it and we like it a lot. However, only two out of the PBs we talked to offer it and we already know that we won't go down the path with one of them. That limited us to have only one choice and we don't like that. Furthermore, the friend went with a direct contractor for their resurfacing. The price they got was way way better per ft compared to the PBs' quotes.

Has anyone contracted out their pool surfacing for a new pool when building with a PB? I have no idea whether a PB would even allow this or not. Just want to test the idea here before I pick up the phone to call the contractor :) Thanks!

I know PebbleTec can only be installed by approved contractors and maybe other companies are the same. As such, it is cheaper for you to have them do the work directly instead of through a pool company that will mark up the price to then sub-contract the work out.

When I had our re-surfaced, I hired the approved company directly as it was cheaper than going with other places that would have just hired the work out.

Your issue seems to be that you are apparently wanting to hire a pool company to be the general contractor, but then are also interested in possibly hiring out some of the work to places of your choice. One option would be to do a DIY install and act as your own general contractor and thus hire out all aspects to companies of your choosing, but that is a lot of work and time commitment.

If that is not a choice, you will just have to ask your selected pool builder if you can pick and choose who you want to hire for various steps of the project. It may not be unreasonable for your contract with the pool company to just include the dig, plumbing, electrical, and shell. Then hire who you want to do the coping, tile, surface, and deck. And hope that you do not run into finger pointing if something goes wrong.

And hope that you do not run into finger pointing if something goes wrong.
Re read that over and over. If you co mingle your subs with the builders work, You can just about count on having many. many "Oh, he is responsible for that" and "Oh, he didn't do that right. Call us when you get it corrected and we'll come do our part." and "Oh, that's not how we usually do it. I'll have to charge you extra for us having to modify our part to fix what the other guy did"

I cannot think of a circumstance where I would mix a PB in with subs I had outsourced....recipe for financial surprises if I've ever seen one.

You would be in a much better position if you contracted the entire project yourself.

duraleigh said:
And hope that you do not run into finger pointing if something goes wrong.
Re read that over and over. If you co mingle your subs with the builders work, You can just about count on having many. many "Oh, he is responsible for that" and "Oh, he didn't do that right. Call us when you get it corrected and we'll come do our part." and "Oh, that's not how we usually do it. I'll have to charge you extra for us having to modify our part to fix what the other guy did"

I cannot think of a circumstance where I would mix a PB in with subs I had outsourced....recipe for financial surprises if I've ever seen one.

You would be in a much better position if you contracted the entire project yourself.

I couldn't agree more.

Sure you will pay more for a GC to oversee the project and the subs, but it also makes them responsible for damaged materials, damaged work (by others), and one overall warranty. They already know they will have some problems and it has been factored into the price. Also IMHO, there are some very nice coatings out there that are durable. Don't limit yourself to the one that you saw. Ask the GC for references and see if you can look at some other coatings that are comparable.

I'm going to disagree a bit.

First, you can tell your general what subs you want working. While that is uncommon in the pool work in almost all other area's of construction it is common for the owner to specify what subs or group of subs is qualified for a job.
It is at least worth talking to them. It gives your general control over the subs and that is what they need control.

Second, pool construction is one area where subs can be very distinct. Deck pour and final finishes are areas where there is not a lot of overlap.

On the other hand I know of integrated pool builders who all but refuse to deal with certain subs that compete against someone in their family.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.