LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Does anyone know if the IRC says you must have your pool a minimum of 10 feet from the house? The code and zoning company hired by my borough is saying that the IRC (international residential code) does not permit a swimming pool closer then 10 feet and no pool can be closer then that. Obviously it is ideal to have at least 10 feet, but I know of quite a few pools closer then 10 feet.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is true. I asked her to send me a copy of where it says that, cause I sure can't find it and they have yet to send it.

If anyone is familiar, please help.

Thanks!!!

I did a quick scan over the IRC and can't find it. It may be a local zoning thing. City's adopt the IRC but can add and modify to suit the local needs. I know the city I am by says 3 ft setback from property line, minimum equal depth to distance from structures to leading edge. The only thing I did find is pools inside a structure with glazing material on the walls "glass panels" and the min setback shows 5 ft. If they do show you and it is from IRC, post the reference.

Where I live it's 6' and I can tell you that the inspector never get it a thought, in some locations inspectors only worry about the serious things and not the trivial, others are sticklers for details.
Ask your local planning dept, they'll let you know.

Just FYI, the IRC does NOT have a foundation setback for swimming pools. My borough also does not have one. They hired a company to take it over, they said they don't care and sent me a denied permit citing it MUST be ten feet or I need to provide a signed and sealed report from a structural engineer saying otherwise.

I'm just at my wits end. I know this is not a popular thread but if anyone has any articles, info from installers etc., please share. I'm going to go to a borough meeting in a May and talk to to them and see what they say.

Meanwhile my 18 round and paid for Doughboy sits. :(

Thanks!!

My pool is very close to my garage and I was told it did not matter where I put it and how close to the house/garage I had it as long as I stayed out of the right a way. My step son mentioned that it would be sweet to jump off the garage roof into the pool. I told him I would take the pool down if anyone attempted it so don't even think about it!!!!!

Taken in Feb 14 to show how close to garage it is.

Taken after install. I needed to fix the cap on the roof and took the pic because I was already up there.

This was the only place I could put a pool in our yard. I went a large as I could and tried to keep it as far away from the garage and right a way as possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.