Booster pump not working

Kevink

Bronze Supporter
Jun 30, 2011
Austin, TX
I came home yesterday and noticed my Polaris booster pump was not working. It must have come on for a short while because the pool floor was partially cleaned (we had a major rain and lighting storm here in Austin the night before and there were leaves and debris everywhere). I have an Intermatic two circuit control and both switches were on and the time was correct. The filter motor was running fine. I also noticed that the pool and spa lights were both out (both are on a separate GFCI box)

I tried resetting both the breaker and the GFCI's and the booster still didn't come on. However the lights did come back on and are working fine.

I have to say that the booster pump is about 4 to 5 years old, but it was working fine previously. It didn't have any strange noises like failing bearings or anything like that. When I flip the switch to turn it on, it makes no noise whatsoever. It's completely dead.

Is there any way to check if it's pump failure or a problem with the electrical? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well the first check I would do would be to see if you are getting power to the boost pump motor. If so, then the motor has a problem. If not, then you have to trace back to figure out why there is no power.

I was wrong. The pump was installed in 2004 and may have been rebuilt once.

Definitely have power at all the contact points within the timer, but can't get the back cover off of the pump. The bottom screw is all rusted, stripped and flaking. I tried just about everything, can't get it off. Any ideas? I may have to dremel out a section to get to the wires.

I finally got the back cover off the motor and it's definitely getting power. The motor is completely dead, no noise, humming or anything. When my pool pump went last year it made squealing noises before it died. This booster pump just stopped, no warning. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: First let me say that I know virtually nothing about electrical other than to turn off the breaker before touching wires.

With that said - I had a friend stop over earlier today to take a look at the connections and wiring. He knows a lot more than I do. :) Anyway, he tested all of the connections and said there is NO power going to the booster motor. The dials are working fine and keeping time, there's power going to the main pump and all of the connections look good. I have an Intermatic PF1202T two circuit control with freeze protection. There may be an issue with the relay?

I also have a cracked stationary switch on the booster pump which probably occured when I tried to get the back cover off.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.