Low chlorine production

Oct 28, 2013
Hello,

I recently moved to a property with a salt water chlorine generator. I replaced the cell about a month ago. The chlorine production is very low (0.5 ppm). There are no error messages on the display.

Equipment:

16000 gallon in ground pool - marsite
Digital Pool Pilot
SC-36 cell
Pent air Sand filter
2hp pump

The pump runs every day for 9 hours. The display shows the following:

Minerals 3000ppm
Power level 2
19V 6.5A
Purifier at 100% (always runs at 100%)

The water test shows the following:

Free Chlorine 0.5
Ph 8.0 (added 1 quart of Muriatic acid)
Acid demand 3
Total alkalinity 100ppm
Calcium hardness 235ppm
Stabilizer 80ppm
Total dissolved solids 3900ppm
Salt 2700ppm

I am a novice, but it seems all ok to me so why is the chlorine production so low? The kit shows a different salt level than the pool pilot, but would this be a problem?

The water is slightly cloudy, but has not turned green although when I brush each week there is a very light green mist.

All suggestions greatly appreciated. Also, should I shock the pool each week with a salt water chlorine generator? If so, with liquid or powder?

Many thanks in advance

Welcome to TFP!

Dogcalleddill said:
The water is slightly cloudy, but has not turned green although when I brush each week there is a very light green mist.

Chances are the algae is consuming the chlorine faster than your generator can produce it. Grab a water sample from a return and test that to see if has more chlorine in it.

Either way, you will be needing to SLAM your pool. Read about it at SLAMing Your Pool

Welcome to tfp, Dogcalleddill :wave:

As JohnT said, you need to do the SLAM process to eliminate the algae...then it is likely the swg will be able to keep your FC up. Do the SLAM process with bleach/liquid chlorine.

Weekly shocking of a pool is not necessary if proper FC levels (for your cya level) are maintained.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Given that you reported total dissolved solids, I am going to assume that those test results are from a pool store which we have found to be notoriously inaccurate. If you do in fact have your own kit, which one? If not, your first step will need to be ordering one of the Recommended Test Kits to allow you to understand your pool's water and take control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.