Equipment Recommendations for New Pool Build

Shadow Lord

Oct 27, 2013
Hello Everyone:

I am a recent reader and a new poster to the forum. I am here, I would guess as most other people are, because we are in the process of building a new pool.

We are in Southern Ca and are putting in a new in ground pool. While my better half and the architect are doing the design elements I get to pick out the toys (i.e. HW) to make it all work. :party:

Of course that would require me to know something about pool HW :roll:

I stopped by at the local Leslie's and they showed me all the cool Hayward stuff. I did a good bit of research and found the options I liked - most importantly the network module (more on this later).

I've had a couple of builders by and while each has had good ideas they have all discounted the Hayward equipment as being inferior. Instead they are recommending Pentair or Jandy. Now I am not married to the Hayward equipment by any means but are they really that bad/inferior in terms of quality/support/warranty? This is a very big investment so I want to be sure.

And if Hayward is worse would I go wrong by taking Pentair over Jandy? The reason I prefer the Pentair system over Jandy is the network module. If I understand it correctly the Jandy module requires me to signup for a "free" account on their site. I assume this is to take out the config headaches for owners and builders in terms of routers, protocols, opening ports, security, etc. My problem is I HATE being tied into a proprietary system where Jandy could start charging for access, discontinue service, require HW upgrades, etc. This is also the reason I won't buy a Nest AC controller or get the Honeywell security system (I got an Elk system with a network module - cost more but no third party service or service fees - all managed within my internal LAN).

From what I have read the Hayward system simply provides a web interface through their module on your LAN. I think the Pentaire system also works the same way but I can not confirm. So any advice you guys can give me would be great - specially in regards to the modules and how they operate (i.e. can I directly access them, can I open/forward a port on my router so I can access them from outside my LAN, etc..).

Once I have settled the brand issue I am sure I will have tons of questions on equipment/panels/etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to tfp, Shadow Lord :wave:

Shadow Lord said:
I've had a couple of builders by and while each has had good ideas they have all discounted the Hayward equipment as being inferior. Instead they are recommending Pentair or Jandy. Now I am not married to the Hayward equipment by any means but are they really that bad/inferior in terms of quality/support/warranty? This is a very big investment so I want to be sure.
The experience of this board is that in general terms, all of the major companies equipment is similar in reliability and warranty. I would pick the company that has the most features that you want (especially if you want to do automation). Whatever you choose, I think some companies offer and extended warranty if you get at least 3 pieces of equipment from them.

Thanks I figured as much but always good to get the opinion of people in the know.

Then can anyone who owns or knows about the Pentair Intellitouch system can fill me in on the specifics of the system? Specially if you need to have an account of any sort with Pentair before it can be used? I guess while I am at it can anyone verify the same on the Hayward? Thanks.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't answered as well. We have several Intellitouch users here. Of course, it is the off season for most of our menbers so they don't visit regularly.

You don't have to have an account for the unit to work. It's a stand alone unit. It can be wireless, but that's still a stand alone pair of units.

I'm currently building a pool in So Cal, and went through some significant considerations wrt to equipment & automation. I started off with everything jandy, with the intention of wiring in automation separately. I wasn't a big fan of iAqualink for the very reason you mentioned. I've MiCasaVerde (MCV)home automation & really wanted to tie everything together, as well as have finer control over communication between devices... from what I read, aqualink is a more superior automation system, with better software/firmware then others (I didn't do feature by feature comparison though). I seriously considered a product by Autelis.com. They integrate with most automation systems & provide local network access, as well some rudimentary integration w/ MCV.

I ended up changing the equipment to Pentair as their heater is significantly smaller (we had space constraints in the equipment area). I ended up getting aqualink + iAqualink + AquaPure swg, primarily because I got an insane deal on the full system (go craigslist & eBay!). The pumps I changed as well as my pb felt they were just better designed, something to do w/ impelled being to close to something on jandy pumps which made it clog more often then Pentair... not much of an issue for me either way, plus if you get 3+ pc of either brand you get longer warranty...

Living in southern CA I never even thought about the fact that people have probably shut down their pools for the season!

Bama Rambler said:
You don't have to have an account for the unit to work. It's a stand alone unit. It can be wireless, but that's still a stand alone pair of units.

Thank you for this info. I guess both the Hayward and Pentair systems meet my needs (as far as automation). I'll have to do a careful feature comparison of the two and see where I get the most bang for the money. I'll also have to find a PB that is familiar with one or both manufacturers. Not sure if this is taboo to ask on the forums but do dealers get a kick back on the systems they install?

garykli said:
I'm currently building a pool in So Cal, and went through some significant considerations wrt to equipment & automation. I started off with everything jandy, with the intention of wiring in automation separately. I wasn't a big fan of iAqualink for the very reason you mentioned. I've MiCasaVerde (MCV)home automation & really wanted to tie everything together, as well as have finer control over communication between devices... from what I read, aqualink is a more superior automation system, with better software/firmware then others

Hi and thanks for the info. Interesting bit there. I had too look up MCV to learn about it looks impressive. The programming looks brain dead (at least based on the you tube stuff). One question, is there an account associated with it (i.e. just like aqualink do you have to go through the company's site/portal) or is it all built into the Vera controller? And more importantly where your able to interface the iAqualink with MCV? I have a DKS 1812 Plus for our gate control and an Elk security system so if I could tie it all together it would be nice. I am still researching the Pentair. Honestly out of the three the Pentair seems to have the least bit of info out on their products. I am really trying hard to avoid the third party tie in. I collect vintage electronics and I can't tell you what a PITA it is to deal with proprietary HW where the company has discontinued or has gone out business versus a company that stuck to established/open standards. It has given me a whole new perspective on companies and their planed obsolesce of products!

garykli said:
I ended up changing the equipment to Pentair as their heater is significantly smaller (we had space constraints in the equipment area). I ended up getting aqualink + iAqualink + AquaPure swg, primarily because I got an insane deal on the full system (go craigslist & eBay!). The pumps I changed as well as my pb felt they were just better designed, something to do w/ impelled being to close to something on jandy pumps which made it clog more often then Pentair... not much of an issue for me either way, plus if you get 3+ pc of either brand you get longer warranty...

Interesting, I would love to know how it all turned out. BTW: where are you in SoCal and would you recommend your PB? ;)

Thanks again.

I don't think iAqualink would integrate with MCV. I do have every intention to monitor iAqualink http traffic to try to figure out a way to plug in... I tried for a bit on my cousins pool & it was a little tougher than I had hoped for. They actually did a decent job to obscure a lot of their API (not great form me, but at least it shows that they've put some thought into this). MCV may be able to talk to Aqualink using jandy's serial interface adapter. If that doesn't work, there's always Autelis...

MCV supports access via mios.com platform as well as direct traffic. mios adds a few nice features in to the mix, but is really not necessary.
MCV has 2 levels of programming, WYSIWYG interface that you probably saw on youtube as well as a relatively rich scripting language. You can check them out on their forum as I don't want to turn this into MCV mini-forum :-D

I'm in SE Ventura county. I just started the build, today was the first day of the actual dig... so it may be a bit premature to recommend my pb or not, though so far we're pretty happy with him.

Thanks for the info. I will check out their forum for more details. Please update me if you successfully get the iAqualink to communicate with the MCV. You guys are a bit far out of the way for your PB to come down here. We are in the SGV. I will be looking at some Pentair stuff more closely soon ?I hope and will let you know if it is ore suitable for automation or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.