Closing pool for the first time

kwolfe

Mar 28, 2013
Central PA
So I would really like to close my pool myself this year. We had A&S here last year and I stayed and watched. The process doesn't look very difficult so I would really like to save the $200 this year

I have drained the water just about below the tile line (per their recommendation). The pool temp is around 56 degrees and I am about to shock it one last time.

My question is regarding blowing out the lines. Pool is about 290k gallons, 2 skimmers, 2 returns, 2 bottom drains (2 drains the come into the same main line), and one aux return. The pic shows the set up. I can add more if necessary. I am going to clean out the filter first and then put it back together.

My question is would you simply go in thought the pump drain hole with a compressor and keep the system sealed while blowing out the lines? Also, how would you set the valving to seal the system? I can seal off sections but I can't figure how to seal them all off.

So I think I figured it out. The only ones I need to seal off air tight are the two valves going to the bottom drains. The skimmers and the returns will be plugged up and don't need positive pressure in the line. So I guess all I need now is to make sure that my air hose fits the drain plug to the pump and if not get the right fitting.

Well I got it done. Took my time cleaning the de filter really well. Blew out the solar lines with a small shop vac which worked very well.

I bought a husky air compressor at HD for $130. Does 4 cfm at 90psi and I think 5 or 6 cfm at 40 psi which seemed to be more than enough.

I had already drained the water below the tile line which was also just below the skimmer line. I then blew the skimmers out first. Just to be on the safe side, I sucked all the water out of the skimmer baskets with a shop vac. Less chance of anything leaking by. Then I blew out the return lines. With the airflow I had, they were really bubbling well. As soon as I swith over to the bottom drains in the deep end, they were bubbling like mad. That's when I really was happy I had bought that compressor. Shut those valves off and I was about done, minus the cover.

All in all it was really pretty easy. Plus it saved me a couple hundred dollars. Next year should definitely go faster. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. As far as I am concern, mission accomplished. :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.