best control panel for iOS and/or raspberry Pi

bsjeep

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Hello all, I'm currently in the process of planning a build for a pool. It's probably about 15x30 and a spa too. Possible water slide as well.

I've looked at lots of equipment and it seems that I would rate pentair first and jandy second in most of what I read. However general quality or warranty aside I would like to figure out which is better for general control/automation, and what would be a better setup for iPhone access, with our without custom RS485 or raspberry adapters, etc. I'm a software engineer so I don't mind a bit of custom stuff.

It would seem from what I've read so far that the Jandy aqualink RS8 is what I want so far. if I use a RS485 adapter with reversed engineered data link, I can do whatever I want. I could also technically get the iAquaLink official adapter.

Same goes with pentair, standard iPhone adapter but didn't find too much for custom 485 or other stuff.

It would seem hayward is also customizable but perhaps not as feature rich for automation as the jandy solution.

I'd like to control filter/pump cycles. Spa jets, spa temp, spa light. Pool light (possibly color led). Slide (valve & pump potentially) perhaps patio/yard lighting.

I've also been looking at solar roof water heating for the pool, these system's usually have a timer/control for the valve and temp sensors, can I integrate solar into a jandy?

what do I need to read (through phone/automation) the temp of the pool and spa, is temp reading capability usually included in a pump/filter/heater piece of equipment or do I need to plumb a sensor in the piping.

I'm also thinking about using salt chlorination. That automates the basic FC level from what I've read up on it. Is there any type of digital reading I can get for PH or chemical levels, or FC even. So that I can see without constant testing where the pool is at?

What about getting the low salt condition from the chlorine generator device, can you normally get this digitally?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I know no one has answered your questions yet, but wanted to encourage you to continue to post and ask questions. Not every question gets an answer, but we should have at least welcomed you to the forum.

I suggest you enter "raspberry pi" in the Google search near the upper right of every page (it searches TFP) as I see there are several threads with people using it as a controller for various purposes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.