Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tiny little red wrigglies in Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Tiny little red wrigglies in Pool

What on earth are these tiny little red wriggly things in my pool. The water is crystal clear! They look like tiny little red worms about 1cm long. Not many - but enough to worry me.

Does anyone know what they are. If so, please tell me how to get rid of them.
    Oval 18'x12' Quick Up Pool. 16" Sandfilter. FSP400 3/4hp pump. Duratech3 heat exchange pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tiny little red wrigglies in Pool

Sounds like mosquito larvae. Liquid chlorine will kill them and then the filter will get them out of the water.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry,I don't know where Surrey is.

Anyhow, the little red worms could be some type of larvae coming from the trees near your pool.
    Just a short time span on them; you won't see them until next year.

Like waste said, chlorine will 'get em'.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Hotrod, Waste
    How much liquid Chlorine do you think I need to put in? And is it safe to swim?
    Surrey is in England, by the way, just outside London - very beautiful.
    Oval 18'x12' Quick Up Pool. 16" Sandfilter. FSP400 3/4hp pump. Duratech3 heat exchange pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

It's safe to swim! The little beasties aren't dangerous - I've never had one try to attack me If you are using bleach to chlorinate the pool, just add a little extra where you see them. Test numbers would help to know how soon after adding the bleach you are safe to swim - it's the free chlorine and cya that are important!

If you bump into her, say "HI" to the queen for me
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Understand Chlorine and can test for that, waste, but not cya yet. I have been having trouble reading the coloured tab tests because I am shade blind. Waterbear has told me about a test kit I can get hold of in England that supplies a digital read out that is not too much money. I am about to go look for it on the internet and hopefully will be able to read cya and anything else I need to read.

The nearest I got to the Queen was at the Trooping of the Colours - very regal. Had my posh frock on and little white gloves. Tried to start a 'wave' in the stands but no one else would play. Sad.