Replacement recommendation: .75 HP 1-speed for energy eff

May 12, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I have a .75 HP pool pump (220V) that I believe is single speed and I'd like to replace it with something more efficient. I've attached a picture of the motor label. I think it's a Sta Rite pump, but I can't find a label. I'd like to go either 2-speed or variable speed. I have a booster pump for the sweeper and no fountain, solar, etc. to run, so I'm assuming I can stay fairly simple.

Any recommendations?

Attachments

• IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 68
Re: Replacement recommendation: .75 HP 1-speed for energy ef

Assuming your current motor is running at 230 volts (or you have the wiring at the pump for 230), the a.o. smith B2890 should work for you. It is 56Y (yours is 48y) but both are the same square flange, so it should fit.

That is a 2-speed. You would either need to add a switch to manually select the speed (what I did) or add another timer to automatically switch speeds. Likely manually would work too just run on low most of the time and switch to high for vacuuming/cleaning.

Hello,
I added a simple toggle switch to switch between hi/low speed. I've got a simple mechanical timer (on/off). My pump does prime in low speed no problem, it just takes a little bit longer.

You can get a two speed with timer: https://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/detail/13495.htm

I was looking at that earlier my system is 115V so it wasn't going to work, but here's what others have said about it:
great-find-2ez-speed-75hp-square-flange-2-speed-300-t42909.html

I think it's a good deal for the price. Remember though you'll need to replace the shaft seal when you install it. I've found my local pool stores will swap out the motor and replace the seal for about $20 labor, $15 for the seal.

When you open the system, you should prime the pump in high speed. Once primed, it should not lose it so it should have no problem starting on low. If your pump drains when off, you have a leak.

I am going through this right now. After a posting here, The many replies I got were to go 2 speed. I had to do pump also as I had a C flange pump. The replies I got steered me to the 2 speed 1hp super pump I got on Amazon. Waiting for it to come on Wed. I have noticed a couple of posts on this site about wiring the 2 speed up, and also using a mech. timer box. Intermatic make one, it is on Amazon for about $160.

No issues, but only about a year old. I think slightly louder (still just as hum) than my old pump on high, but near silent on low. The louder noise could just be due to the different paver I have it sitting on.

I like that it came with the switch and that it comes with and uses union fittings instead of screw in fittings for the plumbing as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.