salt water system withvariable speed pump

echo

Jul 30, 2013
western new york
Just recently had an fiberglass IG pool installed. Next spring I'm considering installing a SWCG; the question I have is what systems will produce chlorine at low flow rates? I have a variable speed pump (Maxflo VS) and like to run the pump at low speed (1000-1200rpm) for long periods of time as opposed to higher pump speeds for shorter lengths of time. At lower speeds my flow rate is ~20-25 gpm. Any salt systems out there that will produce Cl at that flow rate? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

A lot is based on how efficient your plumbing run is to pump and through your filter. With my Pentair vs and the matching Intellichlor IC -40, I can only bring my rpm down to about 1300-1400rpm. Anything lower and I get the low flow warning.

Just spoke with somebody at compupool this morning. He said, compupool units are not flow rate dependent, but only require the cell to be full of water. I would imagine should your pump fail the unit would probably fill with Cl gas which, would in turn, displace that water in the cell causing the unit to shutdown

Search the forums about CompuPool SWG's. They are having some problems with their units right now. I'm not sure I would want one of those at this time as people are having troulble with warranty claims and such.

Pool Pilot claims it only needs 15 gpm to operate.

Correct. We have seen a large increase in the amount of variable speed pump installations over the past 18 months or so. I've had many customers switch to AutoPilot because of the 15 GPM requirement vs. the higher amount required by other systems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.