Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Home Heat Exchangers for Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Home Heat Exchangers for Pool

Has anyone ever seen one of these?

Thinking about this tonight, it seemed to make sense. We have a house with no AC and a pool with no heater. Instead of running a big AC keeping your house cool, and a heater heating your pool, why not use a heat pump that cools your house and heats your pool at the same time?

Anyone attempted this or heard of something like this?
    Jim

2. Back To Top    #2
    I've heard of it, they also have attic heaters that take the heat in your attic and transfers it to your pool....

http://www.poolheatpumps.com/

http://www.solarattic.com/

3. Back To Top    #3

I've often wondered if an A/C condenser unit could circulate pool water around the coils to transfer the heat from the house into the pool. This would turn the pool into a large heat sink for the house.
    20K IG Fiberglass, 3/4 hp Sand, Hayward ColorLogic

4. Back To Top    #4
    Ditto, I can't try it though, my AC is about 350 feet from my pool....My neighbour's pool would be a lot closer.....

5. Back To Top    #5

I can think of a major problem with this idea.

A house has a finite amount of heat to remove.

Once you have cooled it down, no more heat !

It is one fo those, "looks great on paper" ideas.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by haze
    I can think of a major problem with this idea.

A house has a finite amount of heat to remove.

Once you have cooled it down, no more heat !

It is one fo those, "looks great on paper" ideas.
    Then why does my AC keep coming on every 45min or so? The sun keeps putting heat into it. I too have wondered about using the ac coil to heat the pool. Unfortionately for me, the pool gets into the 90's as is, so I want to cool it
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

7. Back To Top    #7

Another problem is that the A/C is likely to be running during the hot part of the summer when the pool won't need heating anyway.
    20K IG Fiberglass, 3/4 hp Sand, Hayward ColorLogic

8. Back To Top    #8

I think you hit the nail on the head there! The peak demands are exactly opposite. You could do it, but after factoring the cost don't think it would be great.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Well, I don't think this would work everywhere, but I'm up in Canada, where our "hot" season doesn't last quite as long, and our pool presumably won't get to a temperature where it is too hot.

Ideally you could have a dual system, pumping heat into the pool, or just operating as a standard A/C. Alternatively, you could "cool" your heat reservoir (pool) at night by circulating it through a diffuser (some people use solar panels).

I looked at the site links, and most of the products listed don't seem to tye into the house, they are just stand alone, and pull heat from the air.

I guess the big time this would be helpful is on those days early/late in the season when you end up running both your A/C and your pool heater at the same time, which just seems like a waste.

A low tech solution I guess would simply be to mount solar panels on the roof of the house, and absorb some of the heat from the sun instead of the house absorbing it.
    Jim

10. Back To Top    #10
    I'm sure with enough money and a very good HVAC contractor you could do what you propose but it would not be cheap and the installation to tie in all the components would be pricey.
    ~Megan

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Home Heat Exchangers for Pool

I had a similar idea. The pool pump uses an electric motor that is hot while it runs. Capturing that heat could warm the pool water for several hours every day. Diffusing the heat would also allow the motor to run cooler and last longer. The trick would be to design an in line coil system to go around the motor or through a heat sink. The volume of water needs to be taken into account. Copper or aluminum transfer heat well but might corrode if exposed to pool chemicals for an extended period of time. Does anyone think this could be made cost effective? 1" copper tubing is approx $5/ft.

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: Home Heat Exchangers for Pool

fredness, welcome to TFP!

The amount of heat put out by the pump is so low, that it would be difficult to justify adding any complexity to the system to get that heat somewhere more useful.

Even the amount of heat available from cooling an entire house, far more than the pump puts out, is low relative to the amount of heat you need for a pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School