Is Sandblasting recommended before resurfacing pool interior

Hi all,

I am currently getting bids for pool remodel on our old (20+ year) plaster pool. We are going to resurface with PebbleSheen.

One sales rep said they would sandblast the pool surface when drained because our plaster was in really bad shape, spotchy uneven and pitted down to the rebar in places. And chip around the fixtures, etc, and down to the rebar and reseal it. Acid wash and bond coat.

A different pool builder said he would not sandblast (would do all the other things listed above). He did not think sandblast was necessary.

Can anyone tell me if this is a better prep step to indeed sandblast the surface of a very old plaster pool to prep for new Pebblesheen?

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Is Sandblasting recommended before resurfacing pool inte

Pretty sure mine was not sand blasted when we had it redone.
They used jack hammers to chip out all the plaster down into the pool shell and I think put concrete over any exposed rebar. And then the pebble is applied over that.

Wonder if they are thinking they can just sandblast the old plaster out instead of chipping it all out and hope that the sandblast removes anything that is loose?

BTW, very few companies are certified to install PebbleSheen. And then all other pool builders end up subcontracting to the approved installers. I saved money by going to the Pebble website and determining who the installers were and hiring them directly ... instead of having to pay one company who is just going to have to sub out the work, thus increasing the cost.

Where are you located?

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Hi jblizzle,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in DFW and there are only 2 companies here that do PeebleSheen. I am getting a bid from Classic Tile and Plaster (one of those installers) who is giving me a full bid to remodel the pool. Their preliminary bid did list chipping out all old plaster below tile line & around fittings. Plus it states they will remove loose and hollowed out plaster. The rep said due to the condition he thought it would need sandblasting during his visit here. He actually leaned into my pool and ran his hand over spots that seemed more troublesome to him. Should ALL the old plaster be removed down to the original gunite before resurfacing? His bid says "inspect that pool surface is solid & suitable for resurfacing (sand blast may be needed) so maybe that is what that means. I will clarify before we start if we use him.

The other company uses Stonescapes (which I don't like as much, color choices and has some negative reviews that I have read). I was only quoted a difference of $500 to do Peeblesheen over Stonescapes MiniPebble. Due to the reputation of PebbleTec, I feel confident spending the extra (even if it was a bit more).

I'll add my pool details, thanks for the info and link!

After talking to several PB's before our replaster, we learned there are options:
1) sandblast if it is the first replaster done to the pool and the current plaster is not too bad and there are no cracks. They only chip around the fixtures, etc.
2) strip chip out the old plaster.
3) chip out all the old plaster.

We were told by most that the sandblasting only is not a good option because the new plaster doesn't have enough to grip onto and will have a high probability of delamination.

We had option 2. We did not have any rebar showing.

7340316572_7522087a21.jpg

7155113913_65220e64b8.jpg

Good luck with the remodel. The journey is a pain, but the results are fantastic!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.