Need help to replace motor

scoop302

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 22, 2013
west palm beach, fl
I am a new member and have spent the past few days reading all I can on this site. I have a couple of questions though that I need help with. I have an concrete IG pool that is 12k gal. with no water features, no spa. 2 main drains 23' and 25' from pump, 1 skimmer 30' from pump. There are 3 returns about 20' and 30' on side of pool closet to equipment and one on far side about 40'. The motor is Jacuzzi (A O Smith) 1hp EE, 1.25 SF. Pump is Jacuzzi magnum plus and a Jacuzzi Sher 80 filter. There is a electric heater that I have never used as I don't own stock in Florida power and light. I use a barracuda G4 out of the skimmer, no dedicated line. Timer is intermatic T10004RT3. All plumbing is 2" except at outlet of filter, which is 1 1/2" male thread that goes immediately to 2". I believe the pool was built in 2004.
The motor quit and I need to replace it. The lid on the pump basket has already broken, and the pool store had a used one he gave me, other than that it seems to be fine. After reading for hours on this site, I believe the answers I am looking for are to go to a 2 speed pump, and that the filter is too small for this application. I would sometime in the future add a SWG and maybe solar, but not right now. The pad has 230v, and everything is easy to get to. I fix houses and cars, so electrical and plumbing are easy for me. I believe I can use a 3/4 hp motor for this application, however the superflo and super pump have 1 1/2 connections, while the whisperflo has 2". The whisperflo is about $200 more and it seems to be more efficient and has more flow, and looking to the future, this may be a good thing. I know at some point I will have to replace the filter as no parts are available, but I would like to put it off for a while if possible.
I am asking for expert advice on where to go from here quickly as I have a dead motor. Thank you in advance for your responses.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Looks like you have done a good bit of research. Do you want to replace the entire pump or just get a new 2-speed motor for it?

The Superflo 1HP 2-speed is plenty of pump ... runs my pool and solar on a single story roof with no problems. And comes with a manual switch installed to select the speeds and uses couplers to attach to the plumbing. As you see the Whisperflo is more expensive to buy and it will move significantly more water than the same HP Superflo, but that also comes at a cost of increased electrical usage ... likely overkill for you pool with no water features or spa.

For a 12k gallon pool, these are the minimum filter sizes we would recommend:
178 sqft cartrdige
2.2 sqft (20") sand
33 sqft DE

Welcome to tfp, scoop302 :wave:

Other than the motor, what condition is the pump in?

How long has the current motor lasted? (I ask since with a quick survey, I can't find a Jacuzzi magnum pump that would typically use the motor you posted...though I might just need to look harder).

The least expensive alternative is to replace the motor. If you decide to replace the motor you have two options, a single speed or a two speed. Most replacement motor are now high efficiency types. If you replace the motor I recommend going to a high efficiency model. Power is lower and surprisingly also the noise level.

A two speed motor requires some way to switch between low and high speed. Some pool timers will do this, and also wiring up a switch to do so is not that difficult. You can run your pump most of the time on low speed. I have a two speed pump, and I live in West Central Florida. The only time the pump kicks inot high speed is when the solar heat turns on.

The system was installed by previous owner in 2004-2005. The problem is the parts are not available and if the pump breaks? The motor is a 1hp, 1.25sf energy efficient. It is a 56J frame with C flange. from what I see, the superflo is I believe a 56 frame with a square flange. I may be wrong, but from what I have seen, most new stuff is the square flange. I have noticed that some posters have said that they only use high to run a cleaner or solar, so I should be able to leave it it low most of the time and use the switch not the motor to manually switch between the two.

I am sure you could find just a motor if that is what you want. Otherwise, the Pentair Superflo 1HP 2-speed would be a good option.

BTW, you can still hook 2" pipes directly to the unions for the Superflo. You just use a 2" coupler on the outside of the union and the pipe. If you have 1.5" pipe, it would slip inside the unions.

Amazon has the superflo for $425 with unions for 1 1/2 in, 2" out. I just worry that I spend $200 on a motor, the pump breaks and a new pump is more than $225 and requires a square flange motor. With jacuzzi out of business, the equipment 8 years old, kind of seems like a big chance? I was just thinking of a reduction in flow when going from 2" pipe to 1 1/2" to go in and out of the pump. I think there may be a bigger restriction in the undersized filter surface area.

That pump will be fine, having short sections of smaller pipe, do not greatly impact the total head loss in the system. You are not looking to be moving more water than even all 1.5" pipe could handle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.