Help Needed: Paramount SDX safety drain

DOMO

Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2013
Rowley, MA
Hi all, We have a Paramount MDX R3 bottom drain and an SDX sidewall safety drain which are plumbed together and feed into the Paramount leaf catcher deck canister. We have removed the SDX cover (via the 3 security screws) and are attempting to blow the line out and cap, however, we can't figure out the correct cap/fitting. We have had multiple calls with the regional Paramount rep today (who has been very helpful), but he does not know the cap size. The black plate of the SDX which is attached to the side wall of the pool has a threaded end (similar to a normal plumbing return), however, no one knows what size threaded cap (with rubber O ring) to use to close this off. We have tried rubber compression fittings, and while a #11 appeared to fit, it then popped out. Please help! Thanks!

leaktools.com has non-standard plugs that may help you. If the #11 fit could it be held in place with duct tape to keep it from popping? Or even better held into the pipe by a clamp keeping pressure on the plug.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. After many emails and phone calls, the folks at Paramount have shipped out a rubber compression plug (part #005-302-4320-00) which they say should be what I need. It is expected to arrive Friday, so I will send an update once we fit and install it. I have to say this system is rather difficult to winterize, troubleshoot, etc., and unfortunately, does not perform as it says it will (however, some of the performance appears to be related to the installation, according to Paramount). While it was a challenge to find the right part, I communicated with 3 separate people at Paramount who were very helpful and responsive to my many inquiries on this subject.

I've ran across my first paramount system only a few years ago. The guy likes it, but yes it's a nightmare to winterize. It's the only pool that really requires an air compressor since I can't cap the pipes fast enough with my standard method of "Blow-then quickly cap". I also had to make a diagram up for myself of how the plumbing runs in every which direction. I think when they designed this system they really didn't take winterization much into consideration

Hi all, Just thought I would provide an update. The folks at Paramount sent me a rubber compression style plug (with schrader valve) and we attempted to install it into the wall opening on the SDX. Unfortunately, we have been unable to get it to stay in. We have tried to tighten it to get it to stay and had a couple possible times where it appeared it would, and were even able to put the air compressor on it and blow the lines for the SDX and MDX (with the opening at the deck debris canister plugged as well) and get the MDX bottom drain to bubble well. Unfortunately, it then popped out again. By the way, the water temp in New England is extremely cold right now so reaching in with both arms to tighten this thing (as the wing nut is very hard to turn) is painful to say the least! The bottom line is that we still don't have the SDX capped and that line blown out. I still don't understand why they don't make a threaded plug with an O ring, as the SDX opening appears to be threaded. This would certainly make it easier to start the threading, blow the line from the deck canister, tighten the SDX plug down, and then finish blowing out the MDX floor, and now you'd have air lock from the plug at the deck canister.

I have sent yet another email to Paramount (regional sales rep, Director of Customer Service, head of parts department, Technical Support Manager, etc.) looking for assistance, and am awaiting a reply.

Kevin/X-PertPool, any suggestions based on your process when dealing with this system?

Thanks for the reply. I will try to take some pics but the cover is on so will have to pull that back and with it getting dark so early now I may not be able to get a daylight shot until the weekend, as it's dark when I get home from work. I have a pic posted if the plumbing that I can post later. What type / size plug do you use on the SDX? Thanks.

Hi again, Please see the attached pic of the plumbing. Please let me know if you have any questions. We have blown out the main line back to the pump and capped at the bottom of the canister. The equalizer line is capped at the side wall and we have drained the line, and filled that line with antifreeze (note: this line is supposed to have a pitch where when we you cap the port on the pool wall, all water should drain into the canister, but there is apparently no pitch installed by PB, so had to vaccuum out. It is VERY difficult to get any vaccuum device in the opening between the port on the side of the canister and the inner wall of the canister). The opening we can't seem to get a plug to fit in and stay (even the one provided by Paramount), is the SDX sidewall opening (after we removed the white safety cover). I am still waiting to hear back from anyone at Paramount. Thanks!

I've personally have not seen this setup before. Can you post a picture of the area that you are trying to plug? A fiberglass pool should have regular wall fittings that can be plugged with an sp1022c Unless they used custom plumbing for that paramount setup. Could it be you didn't remove all of the assembly from the fittings to use an sp1022c? This is one of those things that is hard to help when not in person. Maybe before it gets too cold out you should see if any pool guys can stop by and help you out. It may cost a bit but at the very least it may protect your plumbing.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. All of the other returns and openings have been plugged with sp1022c plugs. This is different, as the opening for the sidewall safety drain (Paramount SDX) is a much larger opening. I don't have a picture but i believe there are images on their site of the black housing that attached to the wall and plumbing pipe. This piece is not removable. To clarify, while I have been doing my homework on this, we are using a reputable pool co who has been in business for decades and they are having difficulties with this system. I finally received an email reply from Paramount last night so I hope to speak with someone via phone today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would try a sp1022-c. If that plug doesn't work you can try regular pvc plumbing plugs. Just make sure to use some type of thread sealant to make a better seal. You can also experiment with removing those screws to see if that plate pops off to reveal a more standard stub to plug off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.