Help Testing My Water

Oct 15, 2013
DALLAS TEXAS
I can't figure out how to create my own topic...??? I need help with my pool and need response please... I am a rookie at pool maint. And know absolutely nothing! I did read alot and bought the k-2006 test kit from Taylor and checked my cya levels which are thru the roof at 130ppm. Do I need to check the rest of the ph total chlorine and hardness to proceed or do I need to drain 60 percent as I'm being told????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew34 said:
I can't figure out how to create my own topic...??? I need help with my pool and need response please... I am a rookie at pool maint. And know absolutely nothing! I did read alot and bought the k-2006 test kit from Taylor and checked my cya levels which are thru the roof at 130ppm. Do I need to check the rest of the ph total chlorine and hardness to proceed or do I need to drain 60 percent as I'm being told????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're absolutely certain you did the CYA test correctly - and note that the scale doesn't have equidistant graduations, so if you think it's 130, it may well be 160 or more - then there isn't much point in testing everything and adjusting it if you're just going to be draining it out again soon. Have you read up on diluting the CYA sample and multiplying the readings? Accurate test results are critical to accurate treatment and dosing. Or in your case, draining.

That said, if you have a SWG, your target CYA could be about 70, which means less draining. If you live somewhere where you drain the pool partially over the winter anyway, then I'd do that and worry about the rest when you reopen in the spring. But if you're somewhere with a high water table - Florida and New Orleans come to mind - draining a whole bunch of water at once is not a good idea. So...how about filling out your signature as suggested by Linen?

Richard320 I don't have any of the info on my pool. It looks like a kidney bean from the measurements I took it says its around 19,000 gallons.
Hayward FLO-selector filter(so-740de)
1.5 hp. Pump (bluffton mtr.)
I have no idea what else is needed to help me. Please inform me and I will get the info.
I am in dallas Texas and was told they don't winterized pools around here.
My pool is gunite

You did fine with the info.

Now run all the tests, and be sure to specify if that CYA test result was obtained by guesstimating, or by dilution and multiplication. Read - no, study - all the information listed under the CYA test in extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html especially the parts about if CYA is over 90 and repeated readings. And then we can help you sort things out based on facts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.