Do I need to move my heater indoors for winter?

Red Shirt Ensign

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2011
Hi All, looking for some help on whether or not I need to take my Heater off the gasline and store indoors for the winter?

I live in Cleveland, plenty of snow during the season, I disconnected the water lines from the pooland blew air through the intake to push some water out... im sure its not all the water

Having an issue getting the stubborn connector on the gas line to budge... wondering if I should just leave it... will it hurt the heater? I store it in an unheated garage during the past winters...

Thanks
Dan

I just drain mine. It is fairly self draining anyway once I unhook the unions from the inlet and outlet. I used to throw an old grill cover over it for the winter. The last couple years I have not done that. Last year, I had an old piece of 1/2" plywood that I put on top of it. It kept the snow off of it and did not allow any buildup around it.

I did remove the drainplug that is located directly under the in/out header (I have a raypak 130k BTU Nat gas heater)
so I don't have to worry about freeze damage from any water remaining inside? or should I do something to make sure its more completely drained?

sounds good to me... I'll find a cover for it and be happy not to move it again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.