Using Shop Vac to remove water from winter cover

ArnoldNagy

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The search returned way too many results that were all about blowing out lines for winterizing. My question is, can I use a Shop Vac to take the standing rain water off of my Winter cover? My wife came up with the idea and I can't think of a reason why it wont work, but I could be missing something.

~Arny

I use a hose to siphon the water off ours. If it were me, I'd use the shop vac to start the siphon and let it naturally siphon after that. That, of course, assumes that your pool isn't buried and there's enough slope for a siphon to work.

I use a trick to get the siphon started each time in our pool. Once I get the siphon started, I lay the end of the hose up on an 8" block and let it siphon until it breaks the siphon. That way there is a good bit of water left in the hose and all I have to do to get the siphon started next time is lay the end of the hose on the ground and it self starts. Once it starts, I lay the end back up on the block. There's the added benefit of being able to see if the hose is siphoning from a distance also.

Bama Rambler said:
I use a trick to get the siphon started each time in our pool. Once I get the siphon started, I lay the end of the hose up on an 8" block and let it siphon until it breaks the siphon. That way there is a good bit of water left in the hose and all I have to do to get the siphon started next time is lay the end of the hose on the ground and it self starts. Once it starts, I lay the end back up on the block.
I am not following bama...where is the block placed? On the rail?

linen said:
I am not following bama...where is the block placed? On the rail?

On the ground. Leave the hose 8" off the ground and it won't drain completely so it will be easier to start next time.

Both Arny and JT are correct! :mrgreen:

It works best in LA (lower Alabama) where it doesn't freeze for days on end. And by raising the end up 8" off the ground, the hose won't completely empty, so it's easy to start the siphon again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.