Solar install couple quick questions

It is a 4 panel 2'x20' 1 1/2" headers full flow through designed to be plumbed any and every possible way. I am installing it on my south faceing roof full sun 10 hrs a day. My only question is would it make it more efficient vertical as opposed to horizontal? (Any tips from previous installs are always welcomed and appreciated)

In your location, horizontal is more efficient because during the day in the summer, the sun spends more time above 45 degree elevation than below.

How steep is the roof?

Ideally you want to run one direction through all the tubes in parallel, not one way in some and then back in others.

I have no experience with the 20' panels, but have seen some pictures where they sag when horizontal on steeper roofs. Whether horizontal or vertical should not really affect the efficiency.

jblizzle said:
Whether horizontal or vertical should not really affect the efficiency.
??
The incident angle of the sun greatly affects the efficiency of the panels. Normal incidence has maximum heat transfer. Tangential incidence had minimum heat transfer.

FamilyGuy said:
*clarification by vertical or horizontal i refer to accross the roof from side to side or down the roof from bottom to top*
Ok, sorry, the original post made no mention of a roof install. Then I agree, there will be little difference in efficiency.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Somewhere I have read (maybe in my install manual) that the 2X20 panels should not be installed vertically due to their construction and the potential weight of the panel once filled with water. I will poke around and see if I can find it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.