Kreepy Kruiser/Bubbles out of jets question

criegg

Oct 23, 2013
Vero Beach, FL
Hey fellas, new to the board, would like to take this opportunity to thank you ahead of time as i've been reading these forums for quite some time...

So, onto my predicament.. Just recently bought a house, brand new sta-rite pump and filter.. Everything works fine with the main drain open and the skimmer running.. Just bought a kreepy kruiser vac and have been having problems with air bubbles coming out of the jets.. I've tried the direct vacuum line and the skimmer, same problems.. Here is my list of what I have tried to resolve this...

1. Took filter out of pump
2. Took inline filter out of vacuum hose
3. Adjusted pressure to make sure the suction was in applicable range for the vac
4. Changed out vacuum hoses
5.Tightened pump cap(Again, no bubbles when the vacuum is not running)

I'm not quite sure what else would be letting air into the pump unless I have a faulty unit? I hope someone could shed some insight!! Thanks guys!!

-Chuck

Welcome to TFP.

Most common places for a suction side leak (and that's what you have) is the pump strainer basket lid, pump drain plugs, suction port on pump, valves and/or other fittings on the suction side of the pump.

Did you replace the pump?
Do you see bubbles in the pump basket?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Given that it only happens for the suction cleaner, I was going to suspect a leaking vac hose, although you say you check them.
The only other option is that the added restriction/suction caused by the use of the vac is enough stronger to be pulling in air in a location that does not when in normal run mode.

Do you get air when you are only running the floor OR skimmer?

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Given that it only happens for the suction cleaner, I was going to suspect a leaking vac hose, although you say you check them.
The only other option is that the added restriction/suction caused by the use of the vac is enough stronger to be pulling in air in a location that does not when in normal run mode.

Do you get air when you are only running the floor OR skimmer?

When I run both the main floor and the skimmer together, no bubbles.. When I shut the main off to create suction for my vac line, I get bubbles.. I tried running it out of the skimmer to no avail, bubbles again.. When I say I replaced the vac lines, I took the 4 that stay on the top that would pull air if leaking out and replaced them with 4 new ones from the kreepy krauler box..(they come in 4 foot sections) however, they dont seem to seat that well.. They kind of just snap together..

So you get bubbles when suction is 100% skimmer or 100% vac line (even with no vac attached), but not when 100% floor?

If all that is true, then there must be an air leak somewhere that is unrelated to the suction cleaner.

jblizzle said:
So you get bubbles when suction is 100% skimmer or 100% vac line (even with no vac attached), but not when 100% floor?

If all that is true, then there must be an air leak somewhere that is unrelated to the suction cleaner.

Let me rephrase my previous statement... when my skimmer and floor are 100%,I have no bubbles.. When I close the floor to add suction to the vac line (not shutting the skimmer all the way), I get bubbles...

I have not tried the vac line with the vac not attached.. I figured that since I hook the vac to skimmer and get bubbles, that cancels out the vac line having an air leak... I thought I had it narrowed down, apparently not... The only other thing that it could be in my eyes would be the vacuum hose.. I'm not sure if anyone else has the kreepy kruiser, but the lines to me don't seem air tight.. I'm thinking I should stick to my day job lol :hammer:

I still am not clear when you do and don't have bubbles. I just know that when the skimmer and floor are open you have no bubbles. But I am not sure if the bubbles are ONLY present with the cleaner attached and in use.

How are your valves set up?
Can you run JUST the floor?
Then JUST the skimmer?
Then JUST the vac line no cleaner attached?

Trying to see if the air leak is isolated to one of the suction lines.

jblizzle said:
I still am not clear when you do and don't have bubbles. I just know that when the skimmer and floor are open you have no bubbles. But I am not sure if the bubbles are ONLY present with the cleaner attached and in use.

How are your valves set up?
Can you run JUST the floor?
Then JUST the skimmer?
Then JUST the vac line no cleaner attached?

Trying to see if the air leak is isolated to one of the suction lines.

I wish I knew more about it.. I obviously need to educate myself more on how the system works..

Yes, the bubbles are ONLY present when the cleaner is attached and in use...

I can run just the floor, just the skimmer.. I cannot run just the vac line as the floor needs to be closed then the skimmer halfway closed to get suction to the vac line..

Does this help? I hope so@!!

Why can't you close the floor and then the skimmer more than half way to get suction only from the vac line?

Have you run the vac line without the cleaner attached?

Maybe add pictures of you valve setup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
d8ddc0d01ef1013131170ea395ba485c.large

d5c995f01ef101317a0476a0f64a2e97.large

I tried running the vac line without the cleaner attached.. Still had bubbles.. So your assumption seems to be correct.. I have a suction leak somewhere...

I've hooked the cleaner back up to the skimmer and the bubbles seem to be 'less' than when hooked up to the vacuum port..Still there though

I often have to have the valve to the floor drain partially open when running my Kreepy Krauly, so it sounds like we are experiencing the same thing. When I have to do this the Kreepy K still functions adequately, but as the filter becomes a little more blocked over several weeks, I have to gradually close the floor drain and there are generally no bubbles when I do that. I also went through everything you did with checking the hoses and the filter basket O-ring. I think the earlier post that suggests a leak in the system under very strong vacuum is probably the reason. My thoughts include possible valve packing that allows very tiny air leakage under strong suction, but seals well under normal flow. I suppose it is even possible for the pump to be cavitating since since the impeller is still turning at the same speed (3450 RPM), but you are not pulling in as much water because of the restriction from the cleaner.

See how your cleaner performs with the bottom drain cracked open, but be aware that the pad could become stuck when it crosses the drain completely.

So where is the handle for the other valve? Which suction line is which?
You should be able to isolate each suction line with that valve setup.

If the floor in the pipe on the left and you get no bubbles when only the floor is on, but you get bubbles when the floor is closed off ... then I would check the seals in the valve on the right that has no handle.

So which suction line is on the left? When only it is running are there bubbles?

The key here is to isolate plumbing runs and valves and see when bubbles are present. Just systematically run each suction line separately and report back. It should not be this hard.

Well, I took the advice of throttling the main drain open a hair and then adjusting the pressure of the skimmer and it seems to be working A LOT better.. A bubble here and there but I can tell by looking in the pump canister that the bubbles have definitely gone down.. It's dark now but i'm going to try it out of the vacuum port tomorrow and report back..

Thank you all VERY MUCH!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.