closing question (will this work?)

echo

Jul 30, 2013
western new york
In early Sept this year, I had a fiberglass inground pool installed. I'm located in western new york and was wondering if I can just put the safety cover on and let the filter pump run on low speed just to slowly keep the water moving all winter long, instead blowing out and plugging the lines? I've been told moving water wont freeze. I have a cartridge filter and would remove the filter cartridges and let the system slowly/continuously circulate till I'm ready to reopen in spring. Has anyone done this before?

Moving water absolutely will freeze, it just takes longer. When you get several days of sustained below freezing temps the water will freeze, destroying your pipes, pump, and filter. Do it the right way, it is less hassle.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

Donldson said:
Moving water absolutely will freeze, it just takes longer. When you get several days of sustained below freezing temps the water will freeze, destroying your pipes, pump, and filter. Do it the right way, it is less hassle.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

Yes; not worth the chancing it ... I will have it closed the right way. ( free this first time around with the new pool purchase)

Unless you do this...one of the PB's I interviewed has a customer (elderly woman) who runs her heater all winter long to keep her pool at 80+. They'll be no freezing in that pool. He also said that no snow stays on the deck/ground within several feet of the heat sink. A backup electric generator would be a must. It's only money.

bmoreswim said:
Unless you do this...one of the PB's I interviewed has a customer (elderly woman) who runs her heater all winter long to keep her pool at 80+. They'll be no freezing in that pool. He also said that no snow stays on the deck/ground within several feet of the heat sink. A backup electric generator would be a must. It's only money.

It would be kind of fun having a swim on a new years day at the same time with a few snowflakes lightly falling down. probably cost between $900-$1200/month to keep it heated to 80-85

In Western NY you will definitely want to winterize your pool.

Predictions are for a long cold winter :mrgreen: .... hopefully we will have a foot plus of ice on all of the waterways.

As sad as it is to close the pool the saving grace is it's time to jig Lake Trout through the ice :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.