Skimmer Cover Plate

DOMO

Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2013
Rowley, MA
Hi all, I've seen a few historical posts on this topic with some differing opinions, so wanted to refresh the topic and get some opinions. For our closing, we will be lowering the water just below the skimmer, of course, and a gizmo will be used in the skimmer (with the lines blown out). Pool service companies I've spoken with have all said they will 'put antifreeze into the skimmer', however, what happens if the water level rises during the winter (due to rain and snow melt), won't that water enter into the skimmer? That said, is one of those snap in skimmer covers/plates (some retailers call them 'skimmer plugs') recommended? I've seen the idea of taking a 1 liter soda bottle filled 1/4 with pool/RV anti-freeze (and sometimes with pea gravel to weigh it down) and put that in the skimmer basket with the gizmo. Will that do the trick if the water level rises and enters into the skimmer?
Finally, what's the best way to close the opening and seal the deck level skimmer cover so that rain water/snow melt does not get into the skimmer?
Many thanks for thoughts on this topic!

Here in Missouri where I am we close about 165 pools every fall. We do not drain them down at all. We use either aquadoor or skimmer plug to close off the skimmers. Once plugged we drain the water out of the line and skimmer then place a gizzmo in and 2 gallon of antifreeze. We have never had a problem. We also recommend solid covers not mesh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.