SWG hi or lo

May 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Question about SWG. Are SWG supposed to run hi or lo when it comes to the timer connection. Right now my pump is running on hi while my SWG is running on lo. My pool guy says that both the pump and the SWG need to be running on hi. He called the time manufacturer and they told him that it is a wiring issue and that both need to connected on hi. Please help.

As long as the SWG is happy and doesn't alarm, you can run it on low. However, I would wire it to run on both high and low speeds. Assuming you are using a two speed timer with dual timers, just connect the SWG controller to the pump power timer instead of the speed timer. It will then run on both high and low speeds.

BTW, most SWGs run on both high and low speed.

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the reply. The timer is an 2 speed Intermatic Multipurpose Control model P1353ME. The SWG is a Compupool SWG. The pump is a Hayward 2 speed 1.5 hp, filter is a Hayward C-1200, filter size 120sf. If any of this information helps let me know. Thanks.

Is the third circuit being used on the timer? It could be set for both the high and low times if that is what you want. But there is nothing that says you have run it on high only, low only or both. It is really your choice. Normally, you want to run on high as little as possible which can be a problem for a SWG since it has a maximum output. So if I had to choose between high and low speeds, I would choose low as long as the SWG generates chlorine on low speed which it should with that pump. I was just suggesting that you should be able to set it up to run on both speeds if you really want to.

Usually you'll need to run your pump longer for the SWCG to generate the amount of chlorine needed. The SWCG doesn't care whether it high or low unless low doesn't provide enough flow. I have a Compupool CPSC 48 and run approx. 10 hours on low without any issues. Running on low saves energy.

I'm having a problem understanding exactly how the pump and the swg are hooked up. :scratch:

You say that the pump is running on high but the swg is running on low? I assume what you mean is that the swg is wired to run only when the pump is running on low speed? If that's the case, then as long as the swg is happy it's fine to run it on the low speed side. However as Mark said, you have a third circuit on that timer that you could use to run the swg whenever you want or need it to, either during high or low speed pump runs.

P.S. Please combine some of the lines in your sig so it'll meet the 5 line rule if you don't mind. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That means as long as it's not shutting down on low flow, etc.. When it's running fine with no errors, it's happy! :)

They may have it wired to run when the pump is on low because the pump usually runs longer on low than it does on high, and hooking the swg up to run during that time gives it longer to generate the required amount of FC to keep the pool chlorinated properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.