Snow load cause bent supports

Jun 14, 2012
Blaine, MN
Throughout the summer I've been obsessing about the small bends in some of the supports at the top by the rim. As far as I can tell, there is no sinking of the supports. I don't remember the bends being there last year.

After reading some posts, I am wondering if the bends could have been caused by the snow last winter. We had a significant amount of snowfall last year of over 60 inches and a lot of it was really heavy.

The first year we installed the pool we went straight from installation to closing with the installer placing the winter cover on. It was pretty snug and I remember watching the wind catching under it several times (this was also a light snow year) and blowing the snow and rain off. When we opened it was more of a leaf sludge and not a whole lot of water on top.

Last year we placed the cover on and couldn't get it as tight (the cable) so the cover sank some and because of the new deck, couldn't take the cover as far over the edge as the previous year. However, the cover sloped to the middle instead of going straight down the edge on the inside of the pool. This year there wasn't a lot of leaf sludge, but there was a ton of water to drain off the cover. Could this have caused the supports to bend in spots?

I would get a cover that is 6 ft larger in diameter than your pool. That will give enough overhang to allow to drain 6" below the skimmer. Personally, I like mesh covers since they allow for drainage and do not require a cover pump.

I have a norway pine tree next to my pool and have had no problem with it. The mess is too fine for the needles to find a hole, they just sit on top like the rest of the leaves. Again, mine is a fine mesh cover...not to be confused with a "leaf net".

Linen,
Is this what you are talking about? http://www.royalswimmingpools.com/Mesh-pool-covers.htm If so, would the four foot overhang be enough? With our size we would have to 25x44 for the six foot overhang you recommended which seems like a lot of excess. We have a deck surrounding 3/4 of the pool and can only just tuck under the rim with cable and I wonder if that much excess would cause a problem.
We have never placed any floating devices to help keep the cover up. Does the mess eliminate that need? Also, have you ever used the clips? Are they worth the money or should I look for the spring loaded clamps?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't used them in the past. I just put the cover on once we are done swimming (too cold) but before all the leaves drop...can be a challenge, we have a lot of leaves. When I put it on, I leave it under tension by hanging old bleach bottles filled with water from the cable all around the pool. This pulls the cover off of the water surface and allows leaves to stay dry and blow off the cover. Then when the leaves are done, or when the first significant snow starts, I remove the bottles and let the cover rest on the water surface. In the spring when the snow and ice melt off the cover, and I am fairly certain of no more significant snow storms, I hang the bleach bottles again from the cable to raise the cover off of the surface again and let whatever debris dry so that I can push it off with my pool brush. This has resulted in fairly clear water in the spring...I usually close when the water temp is consistently below 55F, and any chance of "indian summer" is beyond us and open somewhere between 50-55F in the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.