Stamped Concrete Deck

dubele

Jun 17, 2013
Southeast Pennsylvania
Hi,

I am working with the concrete company to lay down a stamped concrete deck on my new pool. I am stuck on what color to pick. I was instantly attracted to a light gray base with a light brown powder coat (the finished product looks like blue stone). I get full sun exposure and I am concerned the deck will be like a hot plate and not be walkable. Any one out there with a gray deck that gets full sun? Any suggestions on other colors?

Thanks,
Doug

I have a light brown stamped pool deck that get full sun. It does get hot, but it looks good; not a lot of options. The problem I have is keeping it properly sealed. We put the pool in 4 years ago and I've had to reseal it every spring. I'm thinking the sun is wiping the sealer out.

Bluestone coping (some is blue/grey and some is much darker). Also have stained concrete in browns, tans and grays. It's all hot but looks great. Full sun. Just get wet and stay wet! You can see picks in our build thread (link in my signature).

Thanks guys. Jeffwantstoswim.....that is one heck of a pool!!

So, we are basically in the same region and get the same "type" of sun......you are both saying it gets hot.......but how hot?? Are people (especially kids) unable to walk on it in bare feet?....are they going, "ouch...ouch...ouch..." as they walk?

I think I am going with a medium color that is tannish and a textured look as opposed to a rectangular or stone look....mine will look like a giant slab of stone....I think that will be easier to clean and not have water sitting in the "carved" out parts....I'm a little conerned as I will have a SWG.

I have not posted any pic's of my pool yet, but will try to get some on soon.
My pool deck is stamped and colored concrete, light brown - it does get hot enough that when I walk on the deck in the afternoon, I'm wearing slides - kids would be saying ouch alright.
Really any color will absorb energy and get hot.

Thanks Jeffwantstoswim. I have been thinking I'll get a beige color and have it accented with medium brown, but then I think, "What's the point of getting stamped concrete if you can't make it beautiful?.....may as well get stamped concrete".

What's funny is the guy who is putting in my stamped concrete has a pool and he put his deck in. He has a medium brown/tan and he says it gets warm, but not hot where it is unbareable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd love to go with this, but I am not sure the gray color will match to well with my Tan deck where the pool will be off of. Also, the pool is also right up to the house....6'. The color of my house is a clayish green. I also think this may get too hot.....but man oh man do I love this pattern and color!!!!!!

Attachments

• Gray_Deck.JPG
    Gray_Deck.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 192
Thanks Jeffwantstoswim. This is good info. The guy is telling me his doesn't get hot and that the sealer will be applied after he installs the deck and that I'll need to do it next season too....but after that, only once every second or third year. Yeah....I'm concerned I will have an ice skating rink!! I'll research sealers and traction another time.....

if you get the same sun I do, you'll be sealing every year. I have it nailed down and can tell you how to do it.
make sure you get all the information off the sealer the contractor uses - you'll want to stay with the same stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.