Non-permanent AC-powered grill light

This might be a weird question for this forum, but you folks seem pretty resourceful, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction...

I actually stumbled across this site because I'm beginning to think (my wife might say "fantasize") about completely re-doing our back yard. But realistically, that's going to still be a year or two off, so for now I have to make do with what we have. I'm doing some little tweaks to improve the usability, but for obvious reasons I don't want to invest a ton into it.

One of the problems I'm trying to solve is a lack of light at the grilling station. The yard actually has a low-voltage lighting system, but it's completely shot (e.g. breaks in the wires in multiple places), and I think it's beyond repair. At least, after most of an afternoon tracing the wires to find the breaks, I gave up... So I'm looking for an alternate solution for getting more light at the grill. I've of course seen the ubiquitous battery-powered grill lights, but I want something a little better than that. I'd like more light than those put out, and I also don't want to have to keep changing batteries. I do have an AC receptacle available. Ideally I'd like something I can just leave out there and not have to worry too much about the weather (it doesn't snow here or anything), so a plain old desk lamp isn't really ideal. And I'd like something that's not obnoxiously ugly.

Any suggestions?

I used a landscaping spot light wired to a switch on the side of my grill island. I mounted the light using 1/2" black pipe (there are matching thread electrical h/w so it all just fir together). Having it run by the transformer also guarantees that I won't leave the light on permanently as the transformer is on a timer...

I don't know where that outlet is located but it seems simple enough to run a cord from that outlet over to that column in the pic.

Next, you can get a very cheap clamp-on work light and plug it into the cord. Then move the work light around on the column until you find the ideal position for the light.

Last, you can then get a small, outdoor light fixture that hides well in the column and either connect it to the plug or hard wire it if you decide it's a bit more permanent.

I would also suggest you look into LED lighting options that keep improving every year, going this route might allow you to use a battery / solar powered option if you don't want the trouble of running wiring to the location.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.