Skimmers always clean

jrr

Aug 22, 2013
Mcallen, TX
I've noticed that my skimmers don't really collect anything. Before today, the main drain and both skimmer valves were completely open. I decided to close the main drain pipe a little to see if it would make a difference. I did notice a little more current in the skimmer area, where before there was none. Both skimmers were still pretty clean. Any advice on how I can make sure everything is working correct. I know that that stuff is collected in the filter because i still have to backwash my filter and it looks dirty when I do. The thing is that I regularly see stuff floating on top of the pool and baskets are clean.

You can turn the arrows on the gauge ... the idea is to point the one at the clean pressure and the other would indicate a 10psi rise as time to backwash ... BUT ... WE recommend that you backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. So, you should backwash before you reach 13psi. You can still point one of the arrows at 10psi to remind you what the clean pressure is, or point it a 13psi to remind you when to clean ... up to you.

With 3 suction lines open, it is not surprising to me that you had little skimmer suction. You may actually find that you get better skimming with only one of the skimmers open (the one on the downwind side) and maybe the floor partially open for circulation (although this is optional). You just have to play with them to see what works best.

You should also check to make sure that the skimmer weirs (doors) are working properly. If they are missing, sticking, or waterlogged, then you won't get proper skimming action.

This may sound dumb, but are they supposed to be opening when people aren't in the pool. I've noticed that when we are swimming they do fling open to allow water in but I don't think I've ever seen them open with just the pressure in skimmer

Jeetyet makes a good point.

Assuming your water level is roughly halfway up the skimmer opening, I would suggest closing down the main drain until you get enough flow through the skimmers that the weir doors lean far enough inward to allow water to flow over the top.

It'll take a bit to get it right but that should maximize your skimmer capability.

On my pool, even with the skimmers functioning correctly, I still don't catch as much as I'd like so I don't think you can ever get all the debris but it sounds like you can improve them with some flow adjustments.

there ya go! winner winner... just make sure you don't hear your pump "struggling" or your pressure on the filter drop a little... that means the pump is cavitating from not enough water, if not youre good to go

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.