Aqualink RS6 to iAqualink with RS8

Jul 17, 2013
Carrollton, TX
I bought a house a couple months ago with a Aqualink RS6 to control the pool and spa. Everything is working great but all my relays are being used and I have a few more things I would like to control. The pool has a multi color pool light but I can't change the color. On the indoor control panel one of the buttons says "color wheel" but when pressed turns the spa blower on high. I'm assuming they re-wired. I also want to add a stennar pump. Here are my questions.

1. What do I need to buy to accomplish this?
2. Would this work? http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Jandy-IQ ... 900-RS.htm
3. Instead of upgrading the indoor control panel to RS8 I want to just get an iaqualink to control everything. Would this work?

Any links would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to control more devices, like lights or motors, you'll need to buy more relays. Your power center should have room for up to 8, I believe (mine does....mine was a PS4 PDA system).

Sounds like someone either rewired your light relay.....or plugged the blower relay control wire into the wrong spot....or programmed your Remote wrong. Hard to tell without seeing a picture or the power center in person.

You could upgrade to the iAqualink with the kit mentioned, but make sure you need that one first. It's for 2006 and older systems that need a whole new control board. 2007 and newer systems can be upgraded cheaper.

I just did the 2006 and older upgrade yesterday. I still have my PDA control, but it's only an on/off device now (can't program the system with it....and wouldn't want to anymore). iAqualink is nice.....I can control the pool from my PC, Android tablet, iPad, or my phone. Pretty cool. It was a pretty easy upgrade also.

Mike

As I mentioned in the other thread....Sunplay is where I bought mine also...same price and received it last Friday, installed on Sunday.

It's basically plug and play. Turn off power to your power center. If you look at your old control board, you'll see each connection is labeled on the circuit board. It's the same labeling and connector type on the new board, so you just swap the connections over. The new board does have some additional connections, for expansion and other devices. My old board had a 9v battery as backup....the new one has a board-mounted coin battery. I'm not sure what 485 devices you have....it's the left top connector. My Aquapure and PDA radio are wired to it on the same connector. The new board has two 485 connectors in the same area, so I just connected the old one back up, and then plugged the new iAqualink wifi radio to the second connector. I had to remove the connector from the cable first, so I could fish the cable into the power center, but that was the hardest part.

Before you power up, you need to open the iAqualink radio and plug the included USB cable to the wifi circuit board and run a utility so you can set the SSID and encryption/passcode for your home wifi router/AP. Takes 10 secs. Then power up the power center, setup an account with Zodiac iAqualink via laptop and enter the iAqualink radio S/N, and Zodiac will verify it sees the iAqualink.

At that point you just assign names to the Aux ports, etc via a web browser.....it's pretty easy. Most of the default functions (filter pump, cleaner, spa) are built in and work the same as my old board, so there wasn't anything to do there. I assigned the right names to the aux ports for my waterfall and lights. Setup my schedule....done.

The last two paragraphs of stuff is listed on a startup guide that comes with the kit.

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.