Minimum FC 7.5% of CYA

The target is high enough such that it does not drop below the minimum before the next time you are there to add more chlorine. There is no set %.

Also realize that the minimum is 5% for SWG pools.

09659 said:
I want a formula, not a chart.
That can only come from trial-and-error. There are too many variables affecting FC consumption to make an easy formula. UV varies considerably throughout the year and the latitude, and even if you get a lot of fog or clouds. Temperature affects it as well. So does usage - a pool that never holds any dirty bodies will use less than one that has dozens of children. And then there's the amount of organic debris that the chlorine tries to oxidize.
Complicating things, the amount of chlorine degraded by UV is a percentage, not a fixed PPM. So there comes a point when overchlorinating becomes a waste, because you lose it faster as the FC level gets higher - which is also why you can't just add three days worth of bleach every third day.

Test FC, keep records, and pay attention. You'll get a gut feeling for your pool's daily appetite quick enough.

09659 said:
Ok, so supposedly the minimum free chlorine should be 7.5% of cyanuric acid.

http://www.lowrycg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Cyanuric-Acid-It-Controls-Your-Pool-rev03.pdf

Target free chlorine should be what percentage of cyanuric acid?

I want a formula, not a chart.
By the way, just to be clear, a lot of the information in Bob Lowry's article you reference came from me as he took some of what I wrote on (mostly) this forum, modified and organized it along with adding some other material (such as charts he made on TA buffering using my Pool Equations spreadsheet), and had me review it. And of course, Ben Powell came up with the original Best Guess Swimming Pool Chlorine Chart that I used along with the chemistry of chlorine/CYA to come up with minimum FC/CYA ratios to inhibit algae growth (with a later modification at a somewhat lower level for SWG pools).

As others have noted, the amount of chlorine you will need as a target depends on factors that you can't put into a single formula. It's just easiest to measure your 24-hour chlorine loss on a typical day and then just set your target at the minimum plus at least that drop assuming you add chlorine every day. Since you are in the industry, if you are a pool service then obviously this approach will not work for you since you may only visit pools once a week. We can discuss various options for you, but they are not the mainstream ones for this forum that focuses on residential pools maintained by their owners so such discussion should be moved to another area so as not to confuse newbies. This post discusses some typical options and we also discussed this in an earlier thread you participated in here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.