Rinsing/cleaning sand in filter

wasilm

Oct 15, 2013
Let me share what I did this past weekend.

My pool water was cloudy and I could see small bitts of matter (dead algae) suspended in there. The filter was not filtering well, I thought. I had backwashed it numerous times and nothing, still cloudy water. I have decided to pop the cap where the pressure gauge was and peek inside. The sand did not look that dirty. I have heard about water house and spraying inside method but decided to go one step further. I put the filter on backwash, moved the water supply pipe inside the filter to the side and turned the pump. Stuck my arm inside and started moving sand around. Yeah, water came over the top but you should have seen it. I could not believe how dirty it was. The pressurized water from underneath made sand really "liquid". I kept moving sand around until water that was overflowing was clean then I put everything together and put the filter on rinse and rinsed for about a minute.

The filter has been running overnight and I already see the bottom. Major improvement.

This will be my to do item at the beginning of swimming seasons.

Welcome to tfp, wasilm :wave:

Remembering your other thread, it sounds like you have completed the SLAM process? If not I would at least do a Overnight Chlorine loss test (OCLT) to ensure you are not still killing something off. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test Just because the filter is now filtering does not mean that organics have gone away in the pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.