DE Filter Guage Question

Bevostein

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 5, 2012
Frisco, TX
The gauge on the top of my DE filter has a threaded valve in the back/side of it that I open to purge air out of the line after I clean the pump basket or backwash. Basically you open the valve up and hear air hissing as it is purged from the line and then you get water squirting out the side of the gauge. Close down the relief valve and the air is purged from the line. When my pool was installed this summer the water exiting the relief valve after the air was purged did so with a decent amount of pressure. Basically you didn't want to be standing in a direct line with the valve or you would get squirted. Now, after the air is purged, the water just barely dribbles out the relief valve. Something has changed. I have backwashed monthly and cleaned the baskets weekly. This drop in water pressure started a few weeks ago when cleaning my pump basket. I figured a backwash would fix it but I did one yesterday and it had no impact.

I am guessing the relief valve on the gauge is clogged or maybe something in the filter is clogged? Is this a something to be concerned about or let it be? If I need to fix it how would I go about doing so?

Thanks

Assuming your gauge is not clogged, (a cheap fix) that usually indicates a suction side blockage of some sort....somewhere between the skimmers and the pump impeller.

Does your gauge indicate a lower than normal psi? Have you checked the impeller for trapped debris? skimmers unblocked?

Skimmers clean, pump basket is clean. I am not sure how to check the impeller but will figure that out and check. Pressure is normal per the gauge. Pump does not sound like it is straining and I have good flow in my returns and spa.

I am thinking it is probably a clogged gauge. Do I replace or unclog it, and how? Thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.