no more algae, but going on vacation

klh66

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I have just spent a week fighting algae, not sure why I got it but that is a subject for another time. I am going on vacation on June 27 for 10 days, and since I just got done cleaning up my pool, I would like to prevent it from happening while I am away.

I have trichlor pucks that I can use, but I don't really want to mess with my CYA level. Right now it is 40. I have a neighbor who is willing to come and put some chlorine in for me but only every few days.

My questions are...
Should I stick with chlorine or should I go ahead and use the pucks this one time?
What would be a good level to keep my FC at since I am coming off of shocking?
What should I do about my ph? (Especially since my chlorine level is so high right now.)

Here are my numbers from today...
FC- 13.5 (I was shocking at 16)
CC-0
PH- 7.4
TA- 80
CH- 340
CYA- 40

Thanks for any advice.

klh66 said:
I have just spent a week fighting algae, not sure why I got it but that is a subject for another time. I am going on vacation on June 27 for 10 days, and since I just got done cleaning up my pool, I would like to prevent it from happening while I am away.

I have trichlor pucks that I can use, but I don't really want to mess with my CYA level. Right now it is 40. I have a neighbor who is willing to come and put some chlorine in for me but only every few days.

My questions are...
Should I stick with chlorine or should I go ahead and use the pucks this one time?
What would be a good level to keep my FC at since I am coming off of shocking?
What should I do about my ph? (Especially since my chlorine level is so high right now.)

Here are my numbers from today...
FC- 13.5 (I was shocking at 16)
CC-0
PH- 7.4
TA- 80
CH- 340
CYA- 40

Thanks for any advice.
Go ahead and shock the night before you go and have your friend add a jug on day 4 or 5. It should be fine, the worst thing would be green (doubtful) and you already know how to fix that. Enjoy your vacation!

Your CYA is only 40, yeah you could go ahead a dump some bleach in there before you left, and a couple of triclor pucks in a floater is not going to raise your CYA that much.

You are going to get a few ways on how to do things while going on vacation, YOU ultimately will have to chose what to go with, and any of them will probaly steer you right.

Rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.