I'm going to DIY in Dallas and looking for consultant

Jul 28, 2013
I'm looking at a DIY in Dallas and have a sketch of exactly what I want to build. Where do you get actual architectural plans so all the subs have a real set of plans to work from and you also have something to submit to the city for permits and such? I have a list of the subs from the last pool we had built, but the builder was hardly there and I had to watch and give direction to all his folks, so I figure why give him $20k for filing permits and scheduling.

Generally, plans come from local engineering firms so check with your city building department and see if they accept plans from specific engineering firms. They will usually help you out with that.

The only way to go: Pool Engineering, Inc., Anaheim, CA: www.pooleng.com They are certified in Texas too. Take about 1-2 weeks and less than $125 for a standard N.Texas/Okla straight forward pool design. But I caution, this is an engineering report/plan, not an 1/8" scale pool plan to give to all the subs. But I will be taking the certified engineer report with my drawing attached to my city office for approval. Good luck, keep us updated, I am starting in Jan. when subs are not as busy.

Pool plans for a gunite pool in California (and Texas) are very basic.

Just a drawing of where the pool is on the property showing all the relevant setbacks and giving the radius for the curves in the pool. It should also show all relevant elevations and structures, both existing and planned.

It should include all the features on the pool like steps and swimouts as well as the location of waterfalls, sheers, rock walls etc. it should also show the general location of the skimmer, drains returns cleaning port, slides etc.

There should be a spec box setting forth total pool area and perimeter, a description of the equipment and the min an max depth. It should list tile and finish material and list any additional specification unique to your pool. Like type number and location of spa jets, a slide, etc.

Once you get that all done you send it to an engineer, like Pool Engineering (mentioned above) They examine it, clean it up and attach to it their standard engineering drawings (assuming they work) and stamp them. You now have "stamped plans."

You can use those plans to give to your subs for bids. I would get the bids before I got the engineering done because the good subs will make suggestions, which generally don't affect the plans but could.

Your plans may describe how you want things done like the location of electrical lines and water lines, but those are generally not depicted on the plans and are field located. So plumbing is something you want to draw something up yourself and give it to the plumber at the time the job is bid, otherwise you end up with a plumbing setup that makes your plumber happy but may not make you happy. Same is true for electrical. If you want input you have to be there and make your point. The rebar guys actually decide exactly where the skimmer and lights will be.

Who is going to do your equipment pad? Who will do the automation? the plumber?

Decking and bonding are ether not shown or just generally depicted.

Once the bids are done take your stamped plans (maybe incorporating sub suggestions) and submit them for a building permit. Talk to the counter person and get a solid understanding of what inspections are required (if any in Texas) and what they are looking for in those inspections. California requires 4 inspections, pre gunite, pre deck (bonding),pre finish and final. You need to understand this very thoroughly. If you have no inspections you need to study the standard specifications very very closely and then look at the as built rebar structure, gunite work and concrete coping to make sure it complies with the standard specifications. If you have a rock wall does the rebar as built meet the engineering specifications for that rock wall? Even the best crews make mistakes.

You need to coordinate all these trades. I suggest reading this thread, you can skip the last few pages, but its blow by blow through a California DIY, failed inspections and all: pool-build-california-dreaming-3-years-closer-t20686.html Ken Good's current thread (New East Texas Pool Build) is also good, but its not a DIY. There are other threads out there -- you should read them -- priceless education.

Have fun

You are exactly I was hoping would give input. There are a few things different here in Texas (from my knowledge of my last build) but you filled in some blanks and also gave me a fantastic blueprint for progress and planning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.