How much cloro, bleach to use.

John L

Aug 26, 2013
I am at the 20' latitude in Mexico. In the 90's today. We currently use granulated cloro for our 20k pool . I am currently considering changing to liquid cloro (bleach). We can buy this in Guadalajara (a 4 hour trip) at a very cheap price in a concentrated form.

My question is, How much cloro would be used on a daily basis for a 20k pool. Never mind the if, ands, and maybes. I need a very approximate figure.

Thanking you John L.

As you are aware, there are many factors. A pool that has 50 ppm cya (or recommended level...but yours may be much higher due to the granular chlorine you have been using...what is it?), and a fair amount of sun might expect to loose about 40% to the sun daily, so if you were aiming for about 5 ppm FC minimum, then you would need to dose your FC up to ~ 9 ppm each day for difference of 4 ppm which would equate to ~ 80 ounces of 12.5% bleach for your 20000 gallon pool daily. Of course high bather load, extreme sun, higher temperatures, large amounts of organic debris all can cause chlorine usage to go up.

Thanks for the input. We are able to buy in Guadalajara concentrated bleach (7 times). Cost $10 for 20 liter containers.We are on the coast, Melaque and generally go to Guad. every two months. It is a shopping trip for the resort www.vacationinmexico.com, so we stock up.
We do have some now so I will try a litre a day and see how it goes.

Thanks, John L.

You suggested one gallon of cloro a day would work for our 20k pool.
The cloro we are buying is concentrated 7 times. Using 6% as a normal cloro means;
1 liter x7 equals ----1.8492 gallons of cloro (more or less hopefully)
Looking at these funny numbers it would mean we are using almost double what you have suggested.
We are just trying to establish how much we should buy on our next trip to Guadalajara.
Thanks, John L.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
John L said:
Looking at these funny numbers it would mean we are using almost double what you have suggested.
As I mentioned above, there are many factors. If the pool gets a lot of use (since this appears to be a resort pool), then it may use quite a bit more chlorine as well. Post a full set of test numbers and we can comment, FC, CC, ph, TA, CH, cya. Also post how you tested for those numbers.

linen said:
Are you saying the amount of Sodium Hypochlorite (NAClO) in the liquid chlorine you can get is ~42%? That is very, very high (higher than I have heard of).
There is no way. To my knowledge it is not made or sold above 15% for the industrial market in the U.S. So I would assume that is for all of North America. If you can't get it stronger for industry, Clorox will certainly not have it. If it were available in higher concentration, my industry would not be settling for 15% bleach in industrial applications.

Okay here's our Cloro story again. My recent shopping trip to Guadalajara included Soaps and Cloro from a distributor. The concentrated Cloro we buy is recommended to be diluted 1 to 7 for household use.
I am told the actual % is 13. My cost is 80 pesos ($6.16 USD.) per 19 liter container.

We did remeasure the pool to get more than a guesstimate. 16,000 gallons.
To start we put in one gallon of cloro to get our color up (shock). After the first week we settled to 1/2 to 3/4 of a liter daily. With the big rains we have been putting in 3/4, but it seems 1/2 is sufficient in normal circumstances. Our "el cheapo" but available tester (for the last ten year) is showing we are good. The pool is crystal clear.
So our pool costs have been LOWERED. One container per month-----$6.16 USD.

Thanks everyone for your inputs, John L.

P.S. I just finished our DIY pool solar hot water system.

Our "el cheapo" but available tester (for the last ten year) is showing we are good
If you are saying your test kit is 10 years old, I would suggest you develop your arm muscles for a month or so and then throw that *#$!*& thing so far you will never be able to find it. That may not be what you are saying but you should clarify.

If you are saying that the bleach is 13% NaClO, then that is a great price on bleach ($0.07/ounce of NaClO)...best I have seen on here :goodjob:

With that said, I doubt it will take only one 19L container per month (I calculate that it would be common to need ~1.4L/day of 13% bleach per day in a typical 16000 gallon pool), especially in your climate, unless the pool gets very small amounts of sun or the pool temp is low . Also, since this is a resort pool, you potentially have a higher bather load that may also increase the demand for bleach.

What is your pool temp right now?
Did you ever find out the cya level?
What FC are you maintaining?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.